• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef safe cement?

I'm looking to make my own frag plugs and discs wasn't sure if anyone else has tried it or has some expertise they can throw my way.

frag plugs and discs are relatively inexpensive items. unless you were going to make them a certain shape or size with an intended purpose in mind, not sure that even if you did find an appropriate material the would hold the shape without being to fragile, that it would be cost effective. just my 2 cents

Pete, zippy number numbers, made some and they're on his build thread. He made them out of dish clay and then fired them up. I got to see them in person and they were awesome.

Marine depot $6 for 15 and I've made that purchase so many times its aggravating ,their has got to be a better way.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I kicked around the though of making my own out of ceramic since I also have a kiln. There are a bunch of posts that specifically tell you how to make the molds to do this. After some thought, and considering the cost of electricity to fire up the kiln, i nixed the idea.

I also kicked around making my own from tile....this is probably the cheapest. You can actually purchase inexpensive one inch tiles from HD. I happened to have two cases of tiles left over from a job and cut my own (which are mentioned HERE).

I eventually just went back to buying them....I think something like 25 for five or six bucks.

I'm looking to incorporate a magnet into them also so I can take advantage of the real estate on my back and side glass

I'm looking to incorporate a magnet into them also so I can take advantage of the real estate on my back and side glass

You can get the ceramic disks on ebay from alternative reef products. Or if you are arts and crafts make em from dis ware clay. But you need a kiln and proper firing temp.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Always hated the look of the round or sqaure frag plugs on the market. I used to make dyi frag plugs years ago. Using all kinds of differnt things. Including crushed coral\sand and sack create Or the Epoxy used put the clear shine on a Bar top forget the name or WaterPlug cement. My brother in law and nephews do it as a project they use solo cups and call them coral cookies.

This looks like a cool Idea too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnPL6CmmEM