• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Safe Shark????

Hi. I'm in the process of setting up a 220 gallon reef tank and was wondering if there were any reef safe sharks that would be able to be housed. Someone at a local pet store mentioned a horn shark would be a suitable inhabitant. In addition, I'll be setting up a 150 gallon FOWLR and wanted to put some triggers in it. Please let me know if there is anything out there that may fit my needs. Thanks.

just wondering, why would you want to put a ' shark ' in a small tank---
read this--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_shark
have you done any research on sharks and keeping them in a tank?
the horned shark is A small species typically measuring 1 m (3.3 ft) in length
what happens if this shark lives long enough to get to that length?

I would rather go to an aquarium and look at sharks then try to ' keep one ' in a tank........

just my opinion---not necessary right!!!

steve

Ok. Well, the reason I posted on this website was so that I could talk to people that may have owned a shark of some kind. In addition, I'm telling you what my local pet store, one of which I received through this website, suggested. As to asking whether I've done any research, this is exactly what I'm doing. I have spent countless hours online reading into the best ways I can care for these animals and create the appropriate environment for them in order to ensure a long life; that is, of course, if I decide to keep a shark of some kind. If a horn shark isn't the right one, then maybe an epaulette, or bamboo shark would be appropriate. That's all.

I know that Tropical Fish Hobbiest had an article sometime in the last year.
Strongly not recomended but they did give some ideas if you "had" to have one. I would look it up, I cannot remember the details because I just read it and didn't really have an urge.

Huge bioload too. I would suggest do the right thing and avoid them.

I appreciate the feedback. I certainly want to do the right thing and, from my research, think I'm going to for go the whole shark idea. They seem to be best left in the wild or in a much larger tank than I can house. I appreciate you input though. Thanks.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Just for the record,there is no "reef safe" sharks in one way or another they will do damage to livestock.
And the horn shark is just as if not more toxic than a lionfish if it gets you with the dorsal spike.

I guess i'll offer the yes to the shark but with caveats:

my 2 cents: A 220 for an animal that barely moves around off the bottom of a tank seems fine as long as you have suitable substrate for the belly of the shark (and your tank isn't a fruitstand of LR with a small patch of sandbed). That would be at least twice the maximum size of a bamboo cat shark. Chiloscyllium plagiosum

Just saying that it is do-able in a FOWLR but I'm not so sure I'd bother with a reef setting.

As for the 150 fowlr - a picasso trigger would be gorgeous - the state fish of h'awai'i is a beauty but not reef safe. You should also look into angels as they are beautiful but also typically not reef safe.

i would use the 150g for the reef- still a great size for a reef tank. then use the 220 for a fish only tank. use a soft white sand and get a bamboo cat shark like hawkeye suggests. can also add a trigger (huma huma my personally favorite) and maybe a good sized tang (naso comes to mind). just a couple small piles of LR for the fish to hide and leave most of the floor space open. i always wanted to do a tank like that myself.

but yeah, not a good idea putting any shark in a tank with lots of rock and corals, pretty sure it will eventaully scratch itself up and end up killing your corals.