• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefer Relief

I have been noticing a lot of people selling their setups lately, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the economy. I hate to see this, and so I thought I'd start this thread to see what the real issues are, and what we might be able to do to help one another out, or teach each other how to run more efficient reefs.

So if you're getting out, or considering it, let us know why. What are the biggest costs you're faced with? What could other reefers do to help (if anything)?

I'm not suggesting we give people cash to support their reef, but maybe some suggestions to lower electric bills or get rid of unnecessary equipment will help a few people that are on the edge stay in the game.

Please feel free to post your thoughts, ideas, questions and anything else that may help.

I thought it was one of those polls about do you pee in your sump while working in the basement! ::)

Seriously; great topic. ;)

I noticed when my ballast failed a few weeks ago that the corals were unaffected even though there were 320 less watts being used everyday, for a period of about ten days. I'm sure over a longer period of time I would see some diminished growth.

When peak AC season hits, I'm considering running a fair amount of days with reduced lighting and the occasional no light day. Some folks routinely have no light days to simulate stormy seasons.

You could also consider switching the coral population away from demanding high end acros to simple soft corals and eliminate the need for pricey additives and reactors.

I found that you save a lot by buying in bulk trading.

I am planning on saving some heat and energy by making a manifold for my return pump (since i have to throttle it back anyway) to feed my reactors and UV.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Depends on what you keep. I don't have SPS so I swapped out my MH/VHO last year and went with 36" T5 lights. I saw a cost savings of $60 after that. I also reduced and altered the light schedule so it would come on later when people would be home to enjoy it. I also don't run a chiller and unplugged my heater for now. At night I open the cabinet doors and raise the canopy. I open a window a few inches and run the ceiling fan at max. I have seen a reduction in evaporation doing this. I plan to cut holes on both side of the cabinet and install screens.

beerfish said:
I have been noticing a lot of people selling their setups lately, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the economy.

My humble opinion - people leave for different reasons - divorce, baby, marriage, people move. Some people are college students or hs students. Certainly when times were flush, there may be less - but in my opinion I just think we notice it more now.

I'm not looking to get out - but the biggest cost to me is time. The best time-saver? Auto-Top Off. Everyone values time differently, but I think an ATO should be part of every set up.

All good ideas... keep em coming!

Seems like lighting (electric) is a big concern for many, so if people have ideas on ways to save on pumps and powerheads (like the manifold idea mentioned), I'm sure that would help some people. I don't generally look at pump wattage, but maybe if people start pointing out a difference I will.

The idea of time being a savings is huge as well. Let's talk about other ideas to limit maintenance as well.

As for people leaving for many reasons... this is very true, but in all the years I've been reefing, I've never seen this many full tank sales. I've also noticed equipment selling for much less than it's worth and people almost giving away supplies to make a few bucks. It's hard times, and regardless of why people are leaving, if this thread helps keep one or two people in the hobby, it was worth my time.

N

njstillwell

If you are really looking to save some cash you can switch your light schedule to night time..Electrcity cost less at night has always been that way..im starting to switch my light schedule now,because of running the a/c unit during these hot months.By also doing this it will allow the tank to stay cooler during the day and night with the windows open and not running a chiller. My main goal is to get the lights on from 5pm to 5am with the halide cycle starting at 7pm to 3am.My lighting cycle is now from 1pm to 1 am just add an hour every 2 or 3 days.Just adding my thoughts...

Hawkeye said:
beerfish said:
I have been noticing a lot of people selling their setups lately, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the economy.

My humble opinion - people leave for different reasons - divorce, baby, marriage, people move. Some people are college students or hs students. Certainly when times were flush, there may be less - but in my opinion I just think we notice it more now.

I'm not looking to get out - but the biggest cost to me is time. The best time-saver? Auto-Top Off. Everyone values time differently, but I think an ATO should be part of every set up.
Amen to that brother. I cannot believe the amount of time I wasted before.

I am not sure I want my tank running lights during the night but moving the lighting cycle a bit later makes some sense and perhaps some cash savings. I have split off my TLF reactor from my return already so that keeps me from adding a pump/wasting the output of the one that I have.

I do believe that folks are getting out because of job loss ect. When you look at the loss you take for selling the equipment and then buying back in the future that stinks IMHO.

There are so many choices that you have to make T5 vs MH vs VHO just the first one that comes to mind. What is that shimmer worth? Looking for a new feed pump for my skimmer the first thing I looked at was GPH then seconds behind energy consumption. All of the choices we make have an impact on the cost of running our tanks. I am terribly cheap ::) so maybe I pay attention to all these things where others don't. Thanks for some good ideas for reducing costs. I think I will unplug my heaters tonight.

another thought - people always set up mixed reefs. What I mean is this:
Person gets a SPS cap, then a LPS Frogspawn, then a sun coral, then a gonipora, then an anemone, then a scallop/christmas worm, then maybe a sea hare.

You have filter feeders, moving stingers, photosynthesis needs, zoaplankton eaters - it's just a hodgepodge of requirements. Who has time to track all that?

If people just focus on one area - it would simplify things so much easier.

My reef takes a fair amount of work for a hobby. More than a coin collection, probably less than a horse.
I know other people have muddled though, but in the face of job loss, my illness or the illness of a loved one, I would probably drop or curtail the hobby for a while.

The complaint I get the most is how much time it takes for this hobby. to hawkeyes point If my reef wasnt mixed I would have to spend way less time on it

good topic, i actually sold my Oceanic 215 because we had a baby and didn't really have time for it. I setup my 75 so i got back into the hobby. It didn't cost me anything because i had all my old equipment. It is a lot cheaper to run than the 215 that's for sure. This isn't exactly the cheapest hobby in the world.

Also in the used equipment space on other sites i've seen a lot of nickel and diming on price, i feel bad for people sometimes, i've seen people literally give great equipment away for a fraction of the price it's a shame.

Harry

Due to the economy I had to take a job out of my Field followed by a drop in income.
At that time, besides my Main Display tank I had 6 others. Because of the costs, mainly Electricity, I have settled down to two tanks. I do like the idea of using timers to closely regulate the photo period and the cloudy day/lights off part. Could save some power. With summer heat coming soon that would save on the AC costs also.
GregH