• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ReefKeeper Elite Controller

I am thinking of getting a new controller. With all the options they are promising for the future and the 100.00 trade up program, I am leaning towards the new Digital Aquatics ReeKeeper Elite setup.

http://digitalaquatics.com/m_product_info.php?part_number=30-0011-001

Right now I am using an old AquaController Pro I bought off ebay from Eric Borneman. Neptune does not support it anymore and the last firmware update was 2001. I have 2 PC4 HD and 1 PC8 already and I need new probes. For the trade up program they need the old controller and 1 powerstrip either a PC4 or the PC8. So I can sell the other 2.

Any opinions?....

Andy

I've been following the RKE for a while. I think what you get for the price is the best around. It is also the most forward thinking of the bunch. I think they are through the start up issues except there are still some graphing problems. As long as they come through with the future promises, this is the best bet by far IMO.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My only issue right now with RKE and why I didn't do with them is the Elite has been one of the vaporware products for so long. We hears for years it was coming, and only now part of it is available and most of what is promised is still not available. That doesn't mean it isn't good, but for me, a lot of pruchasing is based on how many are running with it, and the Elite is still too new (and as of yet mostly incomplete).

Can you guys give more a more detailed review of these controllers. I'm having a hard time understanding what I am exactly getting after shelling out $$$ for them. I guess the best way is to see one in action.

calaxa said:
Can you guys give more a more detailed review of these controllers. I'm having a hard time understanding what I am exactly getting after shelling out $$$ for them. I guess the best way is to see one in action.

To put it simple a controller is a device that can measure and record a bunch of parameters, and based upon that turn other devices on or off.

A controller may measure and record -

Time of day
pH
ORP
Temp
Dissolved Oxygen
and others

A controller can turn on and off

Lights
Pumps
Most other devices connected to an outlet.

A controller determines what it will turn off based upon the program you set it up with.

That's about all there is, but because it's programmable it's a very powerfull tool.

Do you need one? Not at all, they are going to be expensive, and many people are better off spending the money on somethng else. However, they do some very mice things for you.

OK, so I didn't see this thread about the RKE. Another thing I did not know about was the $100 trade up. I'm sure you can get more for your old controller if you sell it on your own.