• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

refractometers & water testing

I'm looking into some new testing kits and looking for some opinions. First is a refractometer to replace my float gauge... I'm seeing prices start @ 50.00 and go up to 200.00. I'm interested in what unit's are being used with what level of satifaction.

Second is water testing... I'm using API test kit for Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate & Nitrate. Are there any other elements I should be keeping an eye on either now or down the line? Are there any other test kits that have better accuracy or easier to use?

Thanks

I'm looking into some new testing kits and looking for some opinions. First is a refractometer to replace my float gauge... I'm seeing prices start @ 50.00 and go up to 200.00. I'm interested in what unit's are being used with what level of satifaction.

Second is water testing... I'm using API test kit for Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate & Nitrate. Are there any other elements I should be keeping an eye on either now or down the line? Are there any other test kits that have better accuracy or easier to use?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but does your tank seem to be doing good with the swing arm? I switched to refractometer and went back to swing arm. Tank seems much healthier. I'm sure many will disagree with this.
I also use API for alk and calcium. The only reason is cause I havnt ran out yet. Not sure how accurate they are but it doesn't get much easier for alk.
I use red sea pro for po4 and mag
Kurtis

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Refractometers, if calibrated correctly, are much more accurate than the swing arms. If you decide to pick one up, which would be my advice, get the calibration solution to go along with it.

The test kits you have cover the most important things, if you wanted to pick up a magnesium, that would be good too. Most people seem to be pretty happy with Salifert and certain models of the hannah checkers.

Thanks

Can't comment on refractometer but get a Hanna tester for alk and po4..very simple to use and you get a digital reading

Good... Than I should be comfortable trusting the test kits I have until they run out.

I'd like to get a refractometer and I'm curious if the digital units are worth the extra money. I'm leaning towards the Vital Sine because it's in the middle of the price range and I've read some good reviews. What ya'll using???

Thanks for the replys!!!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think most people buy the Sybon refractometer w/ automatic temperature compensation.

I recommend getting the calibration fluid with whichever one you buy also. I check mine every few months and sometimes it does need adjusting by +/- .001

I also recommend the hannah pocket photometers for alk and phosphate. The Calcium checkers they make have had many bad reviews so I never got one.

I highly recommend a refractometer over a sg float, mine was 30$something. As long as it is calibrated properly it is so easy to use and gives very accurate results. The three test kits i deal with are sialfert brand alk, calcium and magnesium. The Hanna phosphate meter is annoying with the packets but very accurate and good to have.