• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Refugium Light

I wanted to see what Is being used by others as a light on your refugiums. I just recently replaced my bulb with a HD PAR 24 and have noticed a major ciano bloom in my sump. I was seeing it in my tank until i moved my flow around. My chaeto and ferns are growing steady but they are being covered by cyano. Any suggestions on a good bulb for my refugium?
I was considering doin a Steves LED red DIY kit and a Algea scrubber or a red and blue par 38.

falconut

NJRC Member
I use a simple clamp fixture with reflector, sold at HD or Lowes with a 6500K CFL screw in bulb from Walmart. I go with the 90Watt equivalent for my 20 gallon refuge. I keep it about 4" off the water.

I was thinking about doing one of the red LEDs also. Never got around to it since my macro started dying which I attribute to the pellets kicking in. I have seen the red LEDs popping up on eBay also for a 1/4 of the price of the reef breeders ones on R2R.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Just so you know, Fathom LED makes all sorts of LED lights. I have replaced my high hats at home with LED bulbs. Also I now have a Fathom LED bulb on my refugium.
They also make Par 30/38 like stuff with a red bulb.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Hey ahvrivera, I don't know if you are interested but I did a job for phyllips lighting this past summer and they were closing there facility. They gave me a couple led boards with ballasts. They are 30 something bulbs maybe too bright but I will give one to u if u want to give it a try.. They are all white no good for display but maybe for fuge let me know.

I had a 6000k from Home Depot and after a while started with cyano. My next trial was with a blue/red led grow light from eBay that screwed into a socket. Cyano went away, red macro got a great red color, but growth was slow. Now I use a 10 watt 50/50 left over from my nano, and the red/blue led. Reds are nice and red and the cheato has kicked up speed with growth.

I had a 6000k from Home Depot and after a while started with cyano. My next trial was with a blue/red led grow light from eBay that screwed into a socket. Cyano went away, red macro got a great red color, but growth was slow. Now I use a 10 watt 50/50 left over from my nano, and the red/blue led. Reds are nice and red and the cheato has kicked up speed with growth.
Ive been wanting to get the red a blue par 38 for a while. the cyano has gotten worse since you were last over luckly it has not gone crazy in my DT. I need to find a non drilled 75 or even a 125 to build a new sump.

Lower the amount of light. Too bright grows cyano like crazy,lower amounts seem to keep the macro happy and cyano low.

Ive been wanting to get the red a blue par 38 for a while. the cyano has gotten worse since you were last over luckly it has not gone crazy in my DT. I need to find a non drilled 75 or even a 125 to build a new sump.

Austyn, check tropiquarium. I recently got a email from them with some tank prices. The 75gal deep blue tank is $100. I cant imagine your gonna find a better price. Even used.

Austyn, check tropiquarium. I recently got a email from them with some tank prices. The 75gal deep blue tank is $100. I cant imagine your gonna find a better price. Even used.
For a deep blue? Wow. thats definately a good price. Thanks for the heads up.