• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

refugium

Hey I just got a hang on the back refuguim for my 150 tank. I was reading on a blog that the lights should be on at night or should I leave the lights on non stop . thanks for the info

Bill

you can turn them on at night to help regulate your pH as it usually drops at night. if you have any heat issues it might help a tiny bit. since it hangs on the back though you might not want to run the light at night, it may keep your fish awake. so if you don't really have any pH then just run it during the day. i wouldn't leave it on 24 hours a day either.

You don't necessarily have to light it from the top down either. Sides and bottom (sans sand of course)are also effective for refugium lighting.

What sort of macro algae do you have in the fuge? If you block the light from entering the DT then reverse light cycle lighting is not an issue...well unless it is in your bedroom then it is.
Cheato does not need a 24 hr light cycle.

One quick question, I also have one of these on my DT (CPR medium size HOB refugium)here goes my question: would it be to place my heater inside the refugium instead of the DT since the water is constantly circulating through the refugium will I get a more uniform destribution of heat?
Thanks, nycreefer

hey this might me stupid what do you mean by dt's?? I have several types of macro in there. I thing i'm just goign to run it during the dayand see what happens

NYCREEFER said:
One quick question, I also have one of these on my DT (CPR medium size HOB refugium)here goes my question: would it be to place my heater inside the refugium instead of the DT since the water is constantly circulating through the refugium will I get a more uniform destribution of heat?
Thanks, nycreefer

depends on the set up - but if that is the only heater for the tank - if the fug pump fails - the display tank would not have any heat. Also the heater is more efficient with water flowing around it - in the refugium - i have to imagine the flow is slower than in the display.