• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Regal dies within 24 hours

So, I got a Regal Angel (was not a Red Sea) this Sunday from a store in NJ, I don’t want to mention the name because It is a SUPER GOOD STORE OVER ALL!!!

It was on the medium/large size, well by Monday he was gone! I’m not a rookie I have been in this hobby for almost 9 years now and I do have experience with difficult fish, mandarins, copperband, and powder blue, even if he was bullied by some of my fish, I don’t think that I fish from bulling will die within 24 hours, the only thing I’m thinking is maybe it would have been better to put him in the sump for some time but again I don’t think it’s the bulling that killed him. Anyways I’m looking for some advice because I’m looking to get another one, and is there a store in NJ/NY that has a good rep with Regal Angels.

And I want to be clear that the store I got it from is grate and I will still buy their!!!

just thinking different wholesale vendors, better specimen on some fish???

Thanks.

Well he did not look sick to me, but at the same time I can’t say that he was perfect and I did not see him eating at the store, acclamation was fine but when I got him into my tank, I think I did see him eating something when I was feeding my tank, for most of time he was at the back of the tank where I have a lot of room for hiding,

I have to mention that my wife claims that my fish get better food then us!!! I feed the best only frozen and a mix of everything I got all of LRS foods and others.

That day I got a maids blenny as well and he is doing grate(but that’s not hard fish to keep).

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What I've found with regale is that they wil lsample not eat. So I watch them take it in And then watch to make sure they don't spit it back out. But. Sounds like everything went right and just bad specimen.

Just make sure it's eating next time at store b4 purchase

horseplay

NJRC Member
These fish do not have a very good track record. It's quite a crap shoot so you might need to go through a few of them before you find one that lives.

I heard good things about piecesoftheocean. That's probably the way I would go.

It's better to get juvies as the adult are difficult to adjust to tank life and many people ( myself included) have lost fish that are in the tank for over a year.

You will also need to setup your tank specifically for the regal as a center piece. Big enough tank with a LOT of caves. Your tank, if it's a 90g is very borderline for an adult regal.

I have a juvie in my tank that fully adjusted to tank life. If you like to pay the "extra" it's available :)

If I do get another one I will try to get a small one, and it will go into my refugim first, I have done this with 2 mandarins 4 years ago, I got them for a good price because they looked like they were about to die because of not eating (not having a source of food) I still have them.

So i got yesterday another one but this time from a nother store in NJ Azure Aquatics!!! Nice store big selection of healthy fish, I got a Red Sea regal for $85, defiantly a healthy looking fish active and better then the 1st one, but this time have put him in my refugium with sand rock and algae, so no one will bother him, question is for how long to keep him there, so far the clams on a shell that I have put in he did not touch, but I have seen him nip on rock and other things in the sump.