• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Regal&Idols from ny aquatic

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
So as stated heres the new thread,hope eveyone enjoys.
There is pics. in the other thread about ny aquatics,and I will update with new pics. in this thread as time goes by.
calaxa,heres your answer:
The fish are all currently eating mysis,nori,spectrum pellet and spectrum flake.
Since they are in a QT system I'm only leaving leaving the nori hang for about 1hr. per day,the key to these fish in my opionion are:
1.The origin of where they are from,the idols are hawaii where they net collect and the regal is red-sea again net collection.Unlike the idols and regals from bali they have never seen poison in the water for collection reasons.I had both from bali the regals have the blue/silver belly and throat and the idols have a different pattern on the snout/face it seems to be the lines are broken not solid yes they will eat but usually don't last too long,and number 2
You have to start with HEALTY livestock which I have always gotten from mike.
If anyone remembers I think it was nick (nyfireman) on here had video of his idol from mike ripping up food in his system,I also need to add if mikes livestock and shipping wasn't AWSOME these fish would not have survived the shipping since I had them shipped when the temps in my area were in the single digits.

Are they taking food out of the column? In your QT, is there anything for them to pick on (sponge, pods, etc.)? Are you going to attempt to put them with any corals?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Yes food is being taken from the column,I also put some chato in the tank only for a quote-un-quote a food holder.I rub the chato around in the mymsis so it gets tangeled up in it makes it easier for them to grab it,I do the same for my mandarins.The Idols are totaly reef safe and the angel will be going into an LPS tank so it doesn't eat my zoos and palys.I have some rock in the qt from a system that was fallow for about 8 months so I don't need to worry about any pests.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Moved 2 pics into this thread.
Picture044.jpg

Picture040.jpg

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Heres an update,
the idols and reagl are doing fantastic activly searching out and taking food when ever fed,I have added 2 small power heads to the qt so the food flies around the tank I don't want them to become lazy eaters when moved to a bigger tank.Next step will be to a 75 and then as long as they stay eating like this in there I will move them to a 125 sometime in the summer where they will stay.
I also plan on getting 2 more idols from mike and go through the same procedure with the first 2 would love to have a school of atleast 4, but would love more but don't want to push my luck.
I will update with pics. when I get a chance.
Thanks

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Heres some new pics.learned something new about the idols lastnight,I turnrd off the power heads to do a water change forgot to turn them back on and boy were they MAD...Ramming the glass bad.But heres some new pics.:
Picture073.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture069.jpg