• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Remember those giant hermit crabs I told you about....

One of them has gotten itself stuck in my main drain pipe

I tried grabbing his shell with pliers. But all I did was brake a piece off.

The pvc is glued at the elbow and at the bulkhead.

Thoughts???

34a6403f860fa9ad633c90350f656d17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have cutters like these? They should allow you to cut off the elbow

View attachment 16339

I do.

Part of my morning aggravation had a lot to do with not being able too find that tool.

6:30 am trip to Home Depot.

I ended up pulling drain hose off and using. Large long screwdriver to push the crab up and out.

His sell is pretty beat up.

F&$@ him.

Now I am sure I'll end up with a leak at that drain.

But hey, the crab is out.
1e7ec3506ec2a9c8079e37ea9b85baf0.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
good that he is out. You should get a cover or something to prevent junk from going down the drain and also stop the other crab from going in there lol

Here's my problem

368cbe87d6dfa101dc3723522ebbff63.jpg

There is no room to get a wrench ir other tool to tighten the bulkhead fitting.

I made the mistake on this end by cementing the pvc drain in on the top

I used a lot of silicone. Clearly not enough.

I just tried a chisel to cut away ply wood from underneath. But, one wrong hit and I break the tank.

Thoughts

I need help / advice. It the right tool to use on the bulkhead fitting. Do they make a socket for this?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First you should only hand tighten the bulkheads (note I have used wrench on mine without problems) cause you could crack the tank if you over tighten. I had a bad leak in my tank when I went from hoses to PVC (added a new pump at the time as well). I ended up cutting off the bulk head and putting a new one on.

Give you a tip a friend gave me and worked well. Your drain line that is located in the overflow doesn't need to be glued. If it leaks it just going to leak into the overflow so no loss there. Just make sure the bulkhead is a good fit and doesn't leak then add your drain pipe for the over flow. Its a pain in the butt but I do think starting over might be your best bet.

You should add something like this to the top of your drain pipe

Capture.PNG

Ok fixed. Hand tight would be good if I had room to get my hands on it. Just no room. We set the tank up before drilling the holes
That was a whole other adventure. Used a 5" hole saw with only a 3/4" foam between the saw teeth and glass bottom.

Anyways. A oil filter wench was thin enough to get in there (after using a dermal tool to cut away plywood sections.)

Leak looks like it's stopped. Will check again in a few hours.