• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Remove Uneaten Food...Really?

You have all seen it...feed the fish what they will eat in three minutes...and then remove uneaten food. I have visions of some poor newbie chasing pieces of Mysis shrimp around the tank trying to get it out after the three minute egg timer expires.

Maybe it is just me, but the suggestion to remove uneaten food always seemed absurd to me.

Maybe because I have never fed my tank the floating frozen cubes. I guess turning the pumps back on could be considered a level of removal depending on your setup.

Not really a question...more a rhetorical observation.

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much the same here, I don't think I could remove a lot of the food if I wanted to with all the caves n what not. My cuc consists of a banded coral shrimp, snails, hermits, and an urchin so they pretty much take care of the rest

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think this rule was more for flake food. Scope up what ever was till floating on top. I use frozen and defrost a small piece in a cup of SW. I then add a little to the tank over a few hours until gone. If I used to much I toss what is left over.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This instruction is a joke for a reef tank!!!

I've got to believe this is for true newbies who just purchased or won their very first fish and have it in a little bowl.

how-often-do-i-clean-my-goldfish-bowl_8c0d899f6797364f.jpg

I think this rule was more for flake food. Scope up what ever was till floating on top. I use frozen and defrost a small piece in a cup of SW. I then add a little to the tank over a few hours until gone. If I used to much I toss what is left over.

That might make sense...except...here is the back of frozen food package

76691f0e5ac4af36666ed50cb4b7d183.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk