• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Repurposed Led Strip Light

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
ebd97f3faba00306484e8d3a7a5b032b.jpg

After my Ocean Revive lights kept burning out I gave up on LEDs and switched to T5s. Everything is growing better and my wife loves the look of 1 simple fixture hanging instead of a 4 units with multiple wires. I used the 2 bulb option for sunrise/sunset which looked nice but was missing that "Pop" you get with LEDs. The options for 60" LED light bars were north of $500 and we didn't want anything else hanging from the lights cluttering up the clean look.
After reading @redfishbluefish's article about fixing lights and working with @Chrisgarrick to fix my OR fixture I felt confident enough to try and build my own LED strip light.
I bought 72" metal stock from HD and everything else came from the guts of the OR fixtures. For under $20 and a day of my time I was able to make a full functioning dimmable light strip with 55 LEDs.
I now use this as my Sunrise/Sunset. The 2 T5s for stepping up into the full 8 bulbs and reverse for the evening.
The LEDs bring back that glowing POP that was missing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm liking it! Pictures? The image in the OP isn't showing up.

EDIT TO ADD:

OP image now showing up. Could we see images of it not lit? Where did you hide the power supplies? What heat transfer compound did you use? Is it set up in Series of Parallel?

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Where did you hide the power supplies? What heat transfer compound did you use? Is it set up in Series of Parallel?
I ran a line down to the power supply and dimmer switch down to the cabinet. I at first wired it in parallel and tested it with a pair of batteries and I couldn't believe how bright 2 "AA" batteries made it shine. When I hooked up the driver it kept flashing. I rewired it in series and it works just like the original OR lights. I didn't use a heat sink but instead mounted them to heavy metal stock using thermal paste from Amazon. I only use them on the lowest setting and they do not even get warm to the touch.