• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

rethinking lights

What size tank ?
its 72lx36wx27h but the rim definitely takes up a couple of inches and I can maybe lower the water in the tank an inch. so really its about 24 deep. plan is to buy 3 lights now and maybe 3 more later or maybe go with some other kind of lighting. was even thinking to do 3 radions and 3 kessils. lots of things running through my mind right now.

and what do you plan on keeping?
mixed reef maybe?

yeah i was thnking kessils cause they got that shimmer and they are a very wide light, but the thing is that they arent that strong. if i doubled up down the line and used 6, they might be good enough for anything i want to put in there. of course the xr15 are stronger and 6 of them would get me crazy growth, maybe even turn it down.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
yeah i was thnking kessils cause they got that shimmer and they are a very wide light, but the thing is that they arent that strong. if i doubled up down the line and used 6, they might be good enough for anything i want to put in there. of course the xr15 are stronger and 6 of them would get me crazy growth, maybe even turn it down.

No matter what you would go with you need 6.
Each kessil 360we can handle 24x24.

If that was my tank I would go with 3 x philips coral care2 lights. You will be able to keep anything with the philips lights.

You can also use a t5 hybrid with a few 360we
Or xr15

If you can find them the ap700 kessil are on clearance. 3 AP700 can handle that tank

No matter what you would go with you need 6.
Each kessil 360we can handle 24x24.

If that was my tank I would go with 3 x philips coral care2 lights. You will be able to keep anything with the philips lights.

You can also use a t5 hybrid with a few 360we
Or xr15

yeah i was also looking at the orphek just for a minute. i'll try to look further into the phillips and maybe ati straton. even at 1100 they are cheaper than 6 a360x

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
brs is seriously lacking on testing these types of panel lighting. im so convinced its pay to play with those guys.

Philips invented leds.
I have very high end Philip lights lighting my house.
I have had these leds running for more than 5 yrs
With no problem.
I am currently running kessil lights on my display.
Kessil is a light company. They make like for the military/ hospital and tv. They are a great American
Company. These guys make everything in house.
Same thing with Philips they make everything in house and a industry leader.

I have ran kessils since 2014. Up until about a month ago I was running A360Xs on my reefer 525xl. I switched over to XR30w G5s and I will NEVER look back. Personally, the radions are SO much superior. My corals immediately looked 10x happier and I’m only running them at 50% so far. The kessil shimmer is WAY too much and the coverage isn’t very even. I absolutely love my radions. Worth every damn penny.

I have ran kessils since 2014. Up until about a month ago I was running A360Xs on my reefer 525xl. I switched over to XR30w G5s and I will NEVER look back. Personally, the radions are SO much superior. My corals immediately looked 10x happier and I’m only running them at 50% so far. The kessil shimmer is WAY too much and the coverage isn’t very even. I absolutely love my radions. Worth every damn penny.
those radions have been winning me over. particularly the xr15 blues. the 30 is a beast, but with a tank this size (36"w) i can stagger the 15s out to alleviate some of the shadowing

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Kessils are plenty strong. Really they both work just fine to grow coral, just buy the one you like best and you’ll be fine.

I stick with kessil for their support and hardware quality (it’s definitely not the app that keeps me there). kessil has replaced a light outside of warranty for me. My buddy had to fight for weeks to get ecotech to fix an in warranty light that wasn’t working.

Btw I just picked up a new AP700 from marine depot (they seem to have all the remaining units) for $549. Can’t beat that deal.

Good luck Mickey!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Neptune apex is also going to release “sky”
Soon. So if I was in the market for lights I would
Wait to see what they bring to market.
I am thinking they are going to have their lights
Work with the apex par meter and you can set them
To fit your needs based on par numbers.

If you are a ghl user they also just released lights.
For people in their eco-system.

Last edited:
I know aac rents them and the led part of my lights are adjustable just not sure what numbers should be through out the tank. I know different corals need different lighting.