• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return Pipe Fittings

falconut

NJRC Member
My tank's been running for over 7 years and I'm looking to redo the return hose and possibly the fittings entering the tank. I currently have a 3/4" clear hose coming out of the return pump, it then splits through a 'Y' and runs through (2) clear 3/4" hoses into (2) separate PVC return fittings. The fittings are just a barb, section of pipe, to a 90 degree elbow, then another 90 degree elbow pointing down, a small piece of pipe, then finishes with a smushed elbow to direct the flow. I have hole drilled around the water level for a siphon break when the power is off.

I'm going to replace the clear hose with black hose, the clear hose has gotten some crud build up over time. When it's turned off then on, some of the crud blows into the tank. I think if I change over to black, since there won't be any light getting in, it will probably stay cleaner. I'm trying to decide if there are better fittings to use for the ends.

Here's a photo of what I tried to describe above. as you can see, I changed out one of the smushed elbows for a normal one and added a reducer and a 1/2" male adapter to the end. Just curious what others are doing for this.

mini-DSC_2488.jpg

My returns go to a barbed BH fitting in the overflow chamber, through ~22" piece of 3/4" PVC to an elbo with a siphon break, to a lock line ball socket / Y fitting, to 2 - 6" lengths of ball socket flex tube, and terminating in 2 nozzles.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used rigid PVC pipe and fittings for all my return lines, which end at Loc-Line. The single pipe comes up to the top edge of the tank, elbows and then tees at the edge….One tee branch going left, the other right. On each of these branches there is a tee in the middle and an elbow at the end. Each of these four tees/elbows have a “Y” Loc-Line piece.

IMG_5079.jpg

falconut

NJRC Member
It looks like a loc-line or two might be the way to go. The kit is a good price. Only thing is it comes with the narrow nozzles, and adding the wide one is 3/4 as much as the whole kit. Would there be a benefit to using the wide one versus the narrow?

Paul - I'm guessing you have a check valve, since it doesn't look like there's anywhere for a siphon break hole. Wait, kust noticed that the nozzles are above the water, so that would work. Doesn't it cause a splash? Setup looks amazing.

Oh, forgot to ask. Do you need the tool to work with loc-line or does it just make it easier?

Last edited:

falconut

NJRC Member
This gives me options. Thanks for the links guys. Are they watertight, or do they get saltcreep around the ball joints over time? I considered them in the begining but was told they're not watertight, so I passed. Plus, is the tool required or just for easier assembly?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul - I'm guessing you have a check valve, since it doesn't look like there's anywhere for a siphon break hole. Wait, kust noticed that the nozzles are above the water, so that would work. Doesn't it cause a splash? Setup looks amazing.

The nozzles are at the waters edge…no splashing, but good surface turbulence. I have no check valves, but I do have siphon brakes

If you look closely where the Loc-Line meets the tee/elbows, you will see a coupling in there that has a short piece of tubing that goes just below the waterline.

IMG_2231.jpg

Oh, forgot to ask. Do you need the tool to work with loc-line or does it just make it easier?

If you’re only doing a couple joints, you can muscle them together. I don’t have the tool, and had no problem.

falconut

NJRC Member
Paul - Thanks for the close up. That now gives me a better method than I was thinking. I may do mine just like one of your tees.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Craig, I recommend getting the flared ends if you're going with loc-line. It spreads the return flow out into a thin, wide stream, which as Paul stated gives good surface agitation. Also, the flared ends are very narrow (top to bottom) and therefore make it very difficult for any fish to get inside there. You'd think that the return flow rate alone would be enough to keep fish out, but if the opening is large enough you never know.

Also, the "knuckle joints" are "watertight" if that's what you were asking.

falconut

NJRC Member
Yeah I think I'll be going with the flared ends, I like the idea of spreading the flow out. And yes, the knuckle joints is what I was refering to. Thanks.

falconut

NJRC Member
I tried Aq. Center for the loc-line, which they have. They have a bin of loose fittings, but the employees couldn't tell me a price. They said the boss would know the cost and he wasn't in until the week days around 10 - 2. I didn't want to wait any longer, plus I can't get over there at that time. So, I ordered the loc-line from glass-holes.com. They seamed to have very good prices and only $2.98 shipping.

Now, as far as tubing/hose. I want to replace my 3/4" I.D. clear reinforced hose with a black tube. Here is what I'm looking to use:
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-P...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Does anybody see anything wrong with this. Or is there a better type? I'm looking to pickup the other PVC fittings this week and I'll just get the tubing at the same time.

If you aren't stuck on using black, you can get white spaflex tubing from lowes. BTW if you find yourself needing more loc-line, and the hidden reef has a good selection of it.

The black vinyl tubing is fine to use. It's cheaper than spaflex and I think it's easier to work with. Just make sure to use hose clamps over the tubing and barbs to minimize salt creep.

falconut

NJRC Member
The black vinyl tubing is fine to use. It's cheaper than spaflex and I think it's easier to work with. Just make sure to use hose clamps over the tubing and barbs to minimize salt creep.

OK, thanks. I like the flexability of tubing. I've always used hose clamps over the tubing/barbs. I don't trust it without, I'd probably be at work when it popped off.

falconut

NJRC Member
They usually pop off the day you leave for vacation. LOL

Haha. My wife is already getting nervous that I'm planing on redoing this. She has this idea that things usually don't go right the first time. OK, maybe that's true sometimes, but I think I've got a good handle on this one. Hopefully.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, I have a small one in the blue/orange for my nano QT tank and I'm not a big fan of the flashy colors myself. They do work just as good though.

Good find on the black tubing at HD Craig. I've been looking everywhere for 3/4" black tubing and it's been hard to find. Was that at the one near Deptford mall?

... My wife is already getting nervous that I'm planing on redoing this. She has this idea that things usually don't go right the first time.

I'd offer to swing by your house and give you a hand but I'm 2 hours North of you. Post up some pics of what you have or a sketch. With all of the experienced people on this board we've made every mistake there is to make at least once.