• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return Pipe Fittings

falconut

NJRC Member
If you’re not in any rush, and don’t mind the color, you could order knock-off Loc-Line from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y-Fitting-S...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a7661e7a6#ht_5596wt_822

$(KGrHqJ,!oQE9fivOIzPBPpOzVVQ5g~~60_57.JPG

For $6.99 with free shipping, you can’t beat it. Note that this is not truly trademarked Loc-Line, but a Chinese knock-off. I have two of these, but in black, that I purchased a number of years ago.

That's funny, I saw those exact ones. I was tempted, but decided to get true loc-line.

falconut

NJRC Member
Yea, I have a small one in the blue/orange for my nano QT tank and I'm not a big fan of the flashy colors myself. They do work just as good though.

Good find on the black tubing at HD Craig. I've been looking everywhere for 3/4" black tubing and it's been hard to find. Was that at the one near Deptford mall?

I didn't think the black vinyl tubing was that hard to find. I havn't actually picked it up yet. According to the website, they have 4 at Deptford. I'm actually goign to check Lowes in Lumberton (near work) and see if they have it by the foot.

falconut

NJRC Member
I'd offer to swing by your house and give you a hand but I'm 2 hours North of you. Post up some pics of what you have or a sketch. With all of the experienced people on this board we've made every mistake there is to make at least once.

Thanks. I think I'm good with this. I've actually changed different lines here and there without problems. I have a Mag-18 with a double union ball valve and a 3/4" barb on the outlet. I'll just remove the clear tube and insert the black hose. I had a Y splitting into (2) 3/4" lines (series of pvc fittings), but the flow didn't feel very strong. So, I'm just going to stick with (1) 3/4" line this time. I'll just hose it to a 3/4" barb, 3/4" female adapter, section of pipe, 90 degree elbow, 45 degree, pipe, 45 degree, then female adapter, then the loc-line (male adapter, 6" section, 3" wide nozzle). The 45's are just to make the return line go around my closed loop inlet line.

falconut

NJRC Member
Didn't know the black was hard to find. Neither Lowes (Lumberton) or HD (Burlington) had this stuff. Just the smaller diameters. George - not sure they'll have it in HD (Deptford) cause the website says the Burlington store has it and it doesn't. So might just be an online item.

falconut

NJRC Member
Quick question, Why aren't you re-plumbing with pvc?

Everything else is all PVC, but in this area it makes it easier to remove the pump and other items if I use a section of hose. Plus I've got limited access to run the hard pipe.

Run flex pvc then. You should consider up sizing the vinyl if you definitely want to go that route. You are losing approximately 300gph (30%) currently.

falconut

NJRC Member
Run flex pvc then. You should consider up sizing the vinyl if you definitely want to go that route. You are losing approximately 300gph (30%) currently.

I really don't want to increase my flow any more than it is. My overflow probably won't handle it and I'd have to swap out the Mag-18 for my CL Mag-9.5. But thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize it was chocking it that much, it's good to know.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea I work 2 minutes away from lumber ton Lowes and never see it when I check there (often).

I also checked Hidden Reef about 1-2 months ago and they were out of 3/4" black tubing. They did have some heavy duty kind for ponds with a spiral reinforcement built in... but that was pretty expensive.

falconut

NJRC Member
Thanks for all the help and thanks downbeach for the black hose. The change went real smooth. Very pleased with the way it looks now. Here are some photos of the before and after:

Before
DSC_0312.jpg

In the sump showing the outlet of the pump. You can see the discolored hose, it was clear 7+ years ago.
DSC_0314.jpg

Showing the two return lines entering the tank from above.
DSC_0313.jpg

The two returns from the tank view. Photo was taken after lights were out with flash, why the color looks weird. As you can see, I have some HA growing just on the pipes a few inches down. Not sure why it's growing there, but the rocks are clean and everything else looks great.

Now
DSC_0315.jpg

In the sump showing the outlet of the pump.
DSC_0316.jpg

Showing the return line coming over the tank from above. I may add an airline hose to the syphon break, if it starts to cause salt buildup in that area from the splash. I put the wood rim back after the photo and it fit perfectly.
DSC_0317.jpg

Showing the return from above again, from a side shot.
DSC_0318.jpg

Now the view from the tank. A lot less clutter. And now I have much more control over the direction of the flow with the loc-line.