• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return pump drone

So i don’t know if anyone else has this problem, but i have the constant drone coming from my return pump, im guessing its vibrating on the floor of my sump. Has anyone ever put a pad under their return to silence it? Just looking for safe ideas in terms of materials to muffle it a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whole tank is hard plumbed with pvc

If you but a few inches of silicone tubing from the pump to the PVC it will eliminate alot of the noise. Like this
d4a7e3833de747b72a72594194d97a9d.jpg

When my tank was first setup, i had flex tubing like that. It was on such a bend because of how the sump sits in my stand that not only did i have friction loss it was also loud. So when i moved home i hard plumbed everything. I have a ball valve in it to control the return rate and a whole bunch of other measures to have it be as Efficient as possible. No matter what i do, the mag 10 i have for a return vibrates. I was thinking some sort of pad like silicone or something to just get the bottom of the pump off of the plexy glass of the sump

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Some thick, coarse filter sponge will work. You can cut a trench into it and set the pump, almost like a cradle