• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return pump noise

I've had the same Eheim 1260 for about 6 years now, and today is the first time I've touched it since I put it in. :apologetic: . I swapped out sumps and decided to take it apart and clean it. I didn't take out the impeller or even the rod (not sure what it's called). Just the External filter, the foam filter, then the next few pieces. Pretty sure it went back together the right way, since it seems to fit only one way. But now it's about 10 times louder than it was. Here's a video where you can hear it.

If it's going to be like this permanently, then I'm going to look for another pump. Requirements are 3/4" outlet and be at least as many gph. DC would be nice, and yes, I know I can mount some rubber under it. Right now it's resting on some rubber work gloves I had in the garage :oops:

Thoughts? Will it remain this loud? Other pump recommendations? I don't run any doser or reactor so maybe if I upgrade I'll go that route.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe there is a ring or gasket missing from when you took it apart.

Put a thick piece of coarse foam underneath it to try n muffle the noise

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
It sounds like the impeller and impeller shaft isn't sitting correctly. Did you open the impeller cover at any time? I know from past experiences that if it doesn't sit correct against the cover or a spot on the impeller blade is chipped or worn, it will make that sound.