• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rise of the Halides

Although the title says halide I couldn't resist with all the t5 talk. This is my modified sun power. It was 6 bulbs and is now 4. Uses a storm x controller for the leds, I have 4 channels and all using the original wires from the wall. I have a 4 bulb sun power and some radion pro pucks I was able to pick up a few months ago. I plan on making that fixture 2 t5's with the radion pros and with a storm x and controllable channels.

IMG_5439.jpgIMG_7714.JPG IMG_7464.JPGIMG_7467.JPG

Although the title says halide I couldn't resist with all the t5 talk. This is my modified sun power. It was 6 bulbs and is now 4. Uses a storm x controller for the leds, I have 4 channels and all using the original wires from the wall. I have a 4 bulb sun power and some radion pro pucks I was able to pick up a few months ago. I plan on making that fixture 2 t5's with the radion pros and with a storm x and controllable channels.

View attachment 10565View attachment 10566 View attachment 10570View attachment 10569

That is so awesome!! where can i read more about STORMX?

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to add the experience I had recently. I have been using a photon 24 over a 40 breeder for a year now, and the growth and color has been below average compared to when I had t5s. Everything I read on the internet was that you should be running them no where near max for this size tank, in the range of 70% blue and 30% colors. At that setting I was using only 50 watts of power, now I know leds are more efficient but lighting a 40 breeder mix reef with 50 watts sounds to good to be true. Well since them I removed the optics for better spread (now the tank looks t5 lite, no dark areas). I am also now running 100% blue 60% colors for 9 hours, no ramp up or down. Everything on the internet would suggest these settings would cook your corals but there are FINALLY coloring of great, and I can almost see daily growth.

So in my opinion we need to remove the optics to get rid of the laser beam effect and crank these babies up!! For the folk that got rid of there LEDS can you please post what size tank and how many watts were been used (approximate), or channel percentages and I will do the math. Please share you settings so I can see if there is a common factor!

Thanks in advance!!

I love my leds. I have great growth and love the energy/ heat levels. Plus is get killed if I tried to buy new lights. I just fixed my apollos. So for me for now leds :)

I love my leds. I have great growth and love the energy/ heat levels. Plus is get killed if I tried to buy new lights. I just fixed my apollos. So for me for now leds :)

Chris, I decided to start a new thread in the equipment section so I do not derail this thread. Could you please post your tank size and how many watts of leds you are using in that thread (not how many watts you could run, your actual wattage based on percentage settings).

Thanks!

I have the Evergrow D2120's over my 55g breeder tank and I always ran them at 30% colors 70% blue only 8 in from the water, always been debating on removing the 90 degree optics but never really touched it. I was also debating switching them for T5's but I might as well try to remove the optics and see how it goes! Ill let you know if I see faster growth then usual

I guess it's a good thing my 3x250 Aqualight Pro fixture never sold. Looks like that is the way I will go once I set back up.

I had LED/T5 on my tank in NJ and on the new tank I am running 3 x 250w 20k radiums with 8 x 54w t5's. I am thinking about adding a 4th mh and switching out the t5's for reefbrite's when its time to change the bulbs.

I've been using a custom hybrid light for a year and a half (retrofit T5's with full spectrum LEDs (Lime included) by Nano-Box) and the corals love it. My new light for the new tank is still being built. 6 arrays and 4 T5s in an ATI sunpower body. This light is going to be 36", my current retrofit is 25 and was perfect for the RSM, looking to sell that one now.
New light will look like this:
kat%2527s%2520sunpower%2520retro.png