• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RO/DI water

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
How bad is your tap water? If you have really bad tap water you could burn a RO/DI unit quicker than normal which then increase replacing the filters. I have good tap water (like 12 TDS out of the tap). I still use a BRS 4-stage RO/DI unit. The kit for this unit is $30 and last me about 3 months or longer before needing to be replace; I make 10 - 20gal a week

Its more convenient. Definitely cheaper if you factor in cost per mile wear and tear. I have a Reef keeper Typhoon with added permeate pump that I converted for dual use. I ran it to my fridge so we can have clean ice and water. I change Pre filters 6-8 months and RO filter every 3 years or when efficiency drops below 97 percent. My TDS in, is typically around 65. I make 10-12 gallons a week.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I was buying RO water from my LFS weekly a while back....when I factored in the travel time, gas, tolls and of course the random coral I picked up the cost started to add up fast....getting an RO unit saved me a ton of money

Proper setup including flushing the membranes regularly and by passing the di on start up until tds creep goes away will greatly extended the life of the expensive filters. The pre filters should be changed every 6 months depending on use.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't have a flush valve setup on my rodi..I usually discharge the water for a few minutes before I start collecting it in the bucket...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
20171016_073132.jpg 20171016_073135.jpg

Here's my valve, I changed my set up on my rodi unit and have taken it off for now....but basically where my hand is, is where you would install it, before the DI chamber