• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RO/DI woes

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The reason I say run it through all stages but DI first is because you need pressure to pass through the RO membrane for it to work properly. You can run it like normal with your booster pump and make RO water. Then you can pump it through your DI stage with any regular pump as it does not need the pressure that the RO membrane requires. Either way will work just fine. 6 in one, half dozen in the other. Lots of good info in this thread. This is a common problem with well water and many do not know or realize it.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Ok I get it ill figure out which way I will Go based on space and how complicated the system will become
It seems simple enough if I can find space for the drum I'll go that route. Believe me my life is busy enough not to have to constantly regenerate resin. I didn't realize how I touched on such a common problem.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The reason I say run it through all stages but DI first is because you need pressure to pass through the RO membrane for it to work properly. You can run it like normal with your booster pump and make RO water. Then you can pump it through your DI stage with any regular pump as it does not need the pressure that the RO membrane requires. Either way will work just fine. 6 in one, half dozen in the other. Lots of good info in this thread. This is a common problem with well water and many do not know or realize it.

Kevin, I totally agree with what you’ve said….high pressure for RO….low pressure for DI. I was just trying to save buying yet another pump by using the high pressure pump to send it through everything.

I also agree...a lot of good stuff here.

Also glad to see "The Nut" is going with a bubbler.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I've been doing a little more thinking on this. If you are going to set up a container to aerate water it might be easier to pass the water through the RO stages of the unit and collect this water to aerate. My reasoning for this is the rejection rate of the RO membrane, which is usually 3:1 or 4:1. I am assuming you have the unit plumbed to a drain and water source. By running the water through the RO first yo will only need to store and aerate a smaller amount of water. With your example of 25 gallons you would need to have a container with 75-100 gallons of untreated water aerating to pass through your system to make the 25 gallons. But, if your RO unit is plumbed to a drain already the waste water will already be "disposed" of and you will only need to store and aerate 25 gallons which you will then run through your DI stage.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Yes It is plumbed in but I do have a 55 gallon container for water storage. My plan is to aerate 50 gallons then send it through the di resin into another container maybe 30 gallons. I have a couple of them. Then into the tank. Once I am past initial setup I should be able to use a smaller container to bubble in and then store it in the large drum. I'm not sure though because when I make water I would like to make a lot at once a friend told me my membrain would last longer du to the fact I have to run the filter for a while before I use the water. Is this a fact. If so then the run up before each small batch will waste my membrain faster???

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Bla, bla, bla,,,,ill just make room for the two drums. Ill kick my wife's drying rack out of the mud room... Yea right and ill be making water in tent city in Lakewood......

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been doing a little more thinking on this. If you are going to set up a container to aerate water it might be easier to pass the water through the RO stages of the unit and collect this water to aerate. My reasoning for this is the rejection rate of the RO membrane.....

Excellent point Kevin. I wasn’t even thinking about that…..Doh!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I knew there was a reason I was thinking the way I was just couldn't put my finger on it. I was looking at one I had installed and it hit me.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Wow I am a bit slow tonight now I get what you guys of been trying to say if I passed my water through Ro filter I'll be bubbling a lot less water than if I were to bubble it first and throw most of it down the drain.. Now I'm sure that is the way I will Go.

I know that I've said it before but I would like to say thanks again, you guys Have been really helpful I'm sure that if I had found this site earlier My past experiences would've been more successful.

ROB

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Bubbling away The CO2 On my first batch of ro Waterimage.jpg
Tomorrow ill grab a Rubbermaid can to move the water to after going through the di resin then I should be good to start filling my tank. Woo hoo

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Made lots of water since my last post and bubbling and running it Through the di resin afterwords has made all the difference in the world. I made at least 60 gallon since then with the same batch di resin and he barely changed color just on the very bottom. My tank is finally on its way with four chromous In it. I'm lucky that my son has a 20 gallon nano to play with until my tank Is done cycling. Now I know why so many people make mistakes in the beginning rushing Their tanks The wait is killing me. I do still think that I'll regenerate the resin that I have That I burnt up the first two batches Thanks for the chemistry lesson.