• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ro/di

So I just got my RO DI yesterday and I went to use it only to find my home water pressure is at 40psi. This thing is making water slow. Even though it is a 100gpd system Im only seeing about 1gal per hr, is this what I'm to expect. Or is something off?
Thanks
John

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
For what its worth my RO/DI makes about 10g water in 8 hrs. So I think its on track. Also, they sell booster pumps if your PSI is low.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Water pressure and temp are the biggest factors. It will produce a little more when it's above 70 degrees.

Bob

Well that explains it. I figured if it said 100 gpd then that's what I get. Guess I got to get started early. Thx

I have a 75gpd unit that is right on the money @ ~ 3gal./hr. My pressure is at 60psi and the gauge is located between my prefilters and the membrane, so I don't know what the house pressure is.

Is it a new unit?

Last edited:
your pressure is very low. If you can get a pressure gauge with a hose bib on it and check it at your laundry output or something like that. My pressure gauge on my unit read 65 psi. It makes water pretty fast, but i have not timed it...

I have a 150 gpd that I modifies to 450gpd (added two more RO filters in parallel) I can make 10 gallons in 30 minutes. That is right on. It was right on before the mod as well. The pressure at my ro/di is 65psi.

Optimum input pressure is in the 60-80 PSI range. Below about 40 PSI the unit will not operate efficiently. The units are typically not rated to operate above 80-90 PSI.

I found this remedy for cold water input. I have never tried it.
The GPD ratings are for room temperature (~70° F). Colder water travels more slowly through the membrane, which reduces the output. If you have a high-GPD unit connected to your cold water line, that can be a problem. Here's a solution (from Marc Levenson):

Quote:
You want approximately 25' or 30' feet of tubing from the connection at the cold water running to the RO/DI unit.

Fill a 5-gallon bucket with water, and coil the excess tubing in the bucket so it is submerged. Immerse a small aquarium heater and set it to 78° F. As the RO/DI unit kicks on, water in the tubing will be warmed up to 78° as well, since it processes rather slowly, and the membrane will be able to produce maximum output in the dead of winter.

Last edited:
Pressure was tested at the outside hosebib. 5 gallons took about 4 hrs or so. That's outside, do a bit cold. Maybe that's it. I'm gonna try at the laundry connection. If that's all I get then I'll just have to deal with it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I too use the outside hose and during the summer it will be faster. When it gets to cold for outside I buy it during the winter; just easier for me.

I too use the outside hose and during the summer it will be faster. When it gets to cold for outside I buy it during the winter; just easier for me.

You do realize that the water from your outside hose runs from te same place your sinks run. For the time that the water is actually oustisde not really worth the throuble. Unles you are runing it through a long gargen hose to try to heat it up

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

So I moved it inside and hooked to kitchen faucet. Slightly warmed the water about 80*, and I have at least doubled my output. When I have more time I'll try the trick above. Thanks everyone for everything.
John

Maybe I missed something but where and when did a garden hose come in to the picture?

You will have the same pressure anywhere you check in the house.

Your water temperature coming in to the house can not be 80 degrees this time of year.

He said that in the summer he used the outside hose to make the RO.

Maybe I missed something but where and when did a garden hose come in to the picture?

Your water temperature coming in to the house can not be 80 degrees this time of year.

What reefer is saying is that he uses the outside hose to make his RO/DI in the summer.
Yes you are right pressure is mor or less the same anywhere in the house, BUT the closer you are to the supply the higher the pressure will be, though very slightly.

Your right about the temp of the water BUT and I cant believe I need to explain this:) it is hooked up to the kitchen faucet and the water is turned on warm approx. 80*

Got an adapter when I bought the system. Seems to be a little better I'm getting about 5 gallons in about 3 hrs. I really think its the 40gpm water pressure I get here that's limiting me. Guess ill just deal with it. I just can't see getting a booster just to make RO/DI faster

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I hear you on the booster pump. I should probably pick up a faucet adapter for the winter.

Quick question. Do you have to flush the system each time you use it? Once I make my current batch of water it's gonna sit for a week or more till I need it again. Will I have to flush out a few gallons first?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
With mine you will a slight discoloration of the water. Once that clears I move the hose into the container.

Edit: where did you but the adapter?