• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RO Water Safe to Drink?

I have the Typhoon 5 RODI Reefkeeper from Air Water Ice. Is it safe to drink this water?

My dog will occasionally walk over to my top off reservoir and start drinking from it. I assume it should be safe........

RO water is safe to drink. Plenty of people have RO systems in their house for drinking water. RODI water is "safe" but not suggested. It's stripped of any minerals that could be somewhat beneficial to your/your dogs system. If you drink a bunch of it, it can harm you, but small amounts are meh...Also it supposedly tastes like crap :p

I wouldn't keep rodi water around for too long. Because the rodi removes the chlorine from the tap water, there's nothing to impede bacterial growth. I read this article once how people who constantly refill store-bought water bottles with carbon-filtered water had the most bacterial count relative to tap water or unopened water bottles. You should probably put a cover on that container.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RO water is safe to drink. Plenty of people have RO systems in their house for drinking water. RODI water is "safe" but not suggested. It's stripped of any minerals that could be somewhat beneficial to your/your dogs system. If you drink a bunch of it, it can harm you, but small amounts are meh...Also it supposedly tastes like crap :p

+1 House systems typically have a three gallon to five gallon reservoir that holds the water until used. No problem with RO, but as stated, DI water is totally stripped....recommend not drinking.

I always hate wasting it. I got the BRS upgrade kit to help cut down on the waste. And to speed up the process!

There's no inherent harm in drinking RO/DI water - it's just a waste of RO/DI water :)

It's true that it's stripped clean of even beneficial minerals, but even if you drink it every day forever and ever amen, it won't hurt you. It's just water, and you'll get more than enough of those minerals in your food anyway.

There was a long thread on reddit about this, and there were a couple of water quality experts that chimed in. If you google/search reddit, i'm sure you'll find it an interesting read.

As for the *taste*, yes - RO/DI water tastes funky *IF* you don't have the final carbon polish filter after your DI pass. If you do have that stage, it will taste fine. The smell/taste is a by-product of having passed through the DI bed, which is why it's recommended you plumb drinking water immediately after the membrane as it's already been through 2 carbon blocks already on most systems.

I did a full under-sink setup for my RODI and drinking water stuff. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd ever buy another pre-made RO/DI system now that I understand how they are plumbed. I'd just piece it together and hopefully save a few bucks :)