• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rob's time for an upgrade 180

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
As some of you may know I have been toying around with the idea of upgrading from my 90 to a 180 well the time has come and the big boss gave me the thumbs up Dance
This will probably take a little longer then I would like to get to the end product but I have started the process.

Tank will be a marine land / AGA non reef ready 180 - 6'x2'x2' with a ghost type overflow from modular marine running either herbie or bean animal full syphon
Sump will be reused from the 90 and is 75 gallon tank
Stand will once again be natural cherry flat panel shaker style
Skimmer is still undecided but will be the best I can afford due to the fact I plan on a heavy bio load.
Water movement will come from a gyre xf-150 and two mp-40's
Return is undecided but will be external
I will be using sand but it will be a bit larger so it dosent blow around
Lighting will be 3- 250W metal halide, bulbs undecided but leaning towards 20k radiums and 4-80w t5 and maybe a couple reef bright LEDs for POP
I will be running my diy calcium reactor for alk and cal
Ato will be reused and is a tunze
Uv will be reused and is emperor aquatics 25 w
All controlled via Apex

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Congrats rob! Best of luck with the upgrade. Let me know if you need help with anything when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Ohhhhh. Where abouts are you going to put it rob? Same spot as the 90?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck with the build Rob. I look forward to seeing it come together. The 180 footprint it awesome.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Thanks a lot everyone, I'm really excited for this build and yea Paul it's nice to practice on someone else's tank so I know what to do and not to do on my own LOL.

I got some goodies in the mail yesterday I'm not gonna say what now I'll post some pics later.

Daren I need Some input on the de nitrifier I would like to incorporate one in the new system and I'm not sure if it should be setup from the start or not.

I will be putting the system in the same location as the 90 you know I love that 360° view. I will be making the stand a couple inches taller so it clears the back of the sofa and it will have a full canopy to house the metal halides

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Grats. Just got a gyre 130 in my 4' and it works fantastic at 60% power. That overflow looks impressive. Good luck.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Overflow looks awesome! How much flow can it handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk