• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rock now or wait more.....

My 180 is finally plumbed and tested and ready to go. The cycle is nearing an end (ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates still high between 25 and 50). I cooked the rock from my 150 and it's all phosphate free, fully cycled and ready to go. Do you think I could add the rock into the 180 and let the tank finish cycling? I'm thinking it can't hurt the rocks, the water or anything else.... I'd just like to clean up the buckets of rocks that I have sitting around! And then at least my tank will look prettier ;D

I would do things a little different.

You went to a lot of trouble to get the old rock nitrate and phosphate free by cooking it.

IMO, there is no point to adding new rock and inducing a cycle, since this would undo a lot of the work you did.

I would get additional rock, but run it through the cureing process in another container. That way you will not be adding more unwanted nitrates to the system.

I think Kathy said she wants to add the cooked rock into the tank that has the new rock which is nearing the end of the cycle.

If that is the case those nitrates and phosphates are already in the tank. Adding the cooked rock won't add any significant nutrients and will provide more growing space for bacteria.

I say rock on Kat! ;D

Actually, I have NO rock in the new tank at all. It's just lots of water, three powers heads, a skimmer and a bit of fish food from six weeks ago. The tank is almost done cycling and the rock is just sitting outside and fully cycled. Adding the rock won't induce another cycle, I'm sure of that. I just wanted to be sure that adding the rock to the tank won't hurt the rock!

Anyway, I bit the bullet, got impatient and added the rock to the tank. I do have some leftover rock that I can't figure out something to do with. I'm going to wait a few days and ponder the aquascape. If I get time, I'll post a few pics.

Rock on!!!

Lord Viper said:
Ok so Cooking rock means what? Sorry have to ask.

It's a curing process that gets all nutrients out of the rock.

Basically you cycle the rock in a darkened container for an extended period of time. You swish it around frequently to dislodge all trapped particulate matter and change the water it's cooking in on a regular basis.