• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RTN / STN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since last thursdays all my hard coralssre receding. Starts at the base turning white and goes up at about 1/2 inch a day.
This is happening to all my acros and all my millies.
I took s few outand gave them a revive bath but it did not stop it. Any idea what can I do?
Params are all ok and I been doing 10% water changes a day since it started.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Should have been at the IceCap meeting today. Ken spoke briefly about this. I thought RTN was a white band on the coral your sounds like bleaching. A pic may help more experienced people diagnosis your problem.

MadReefer said:
Should have been at the IceCap meeting today. Ken spoke briefly about this. I thought RTN was a white band on the coral your sounds like bleaching. A pic may help more experienced people diagnosis your problem.
Starts as a white spot and the It just takes over the coral.. It is defenetely RTN

I remember reading on r/c that when it starts try to frag off a piece as far away from the infected part . The frag should have a better chance of survival ,giving you a backup . It would be even better if you have another system to place it in . Just remember there is always a chance of spreading the problem to the backup so a quarantine of dedicated tank will be better. Good luck ,hope you beat it,check r/c for remedies .

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Had this happen to me a few months back. Only thing that lived was the frags that I cut. Sucks to lose a colony, just get the biggest frag you can, as Quick said" as far away as you can from the infection" Good luck

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Ken did talk about this today and essentially he said RTN is a bacterial infection that no one really has a cure for. It can be spread by fish or inverts touching the infected corals and transferring it to others. Fragging is the best solution right now. I had a birdsnest that was starting to RTN and I gave is a bath in furan and it seemed to stop it. You can give it a shot I don't promise anything, I know how much it sucks to lose corals.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
good idea on the Furan bath, if it is bacterial it would zap them all! I have Potassium Permagenite (PP Spelling?) at home and bathe all my new freshwater aditions in it, it is like a wonder drug for freshwater but I have no clue what it would do for corals.

Frag and sav would be my immediate choice as well, preferebly send the frags to a quarentine tak to be safe.

Rod

My frag capacity is completely overwhelmed So fragging the corals is getting difficult.

Can anyone elaborate a little more on the Furan?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Furan II is a anti bacterial medication for fresh fish (I think) that was first used for corals treating zoa pox. Right now it is the only cure for zoa pox out there and has been used successfully for treating zoas with bacterial problems. I had used it to dip some zoas succesfully and it had been recommended on an SPS frag so I figured I had nothing to lose. I took some tank water out and put it in a container that could keep the whole coral underwater and added a packet (comes in a powder) to the water stirred, and added the coral. I waited about 5 mins, rinsed and put it back in.

This is not really scientific, but I noticed the RTN stopped where it was and did not spread up the colony. I lost the colony later in the tank crash so I can't really say what the long term effects/cure was. At this point if you got nothing to lose, it is a cheap solution and is available at most pet stores (I bought mine from Tropiquarium and they seem to always have it in stock).

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear this!..This just happened to the only acro I had..I did frag as much of it i could but to no avail :'(

Well I fragged all SPS I had and the frags seem to be doing well. Now I have close to 100 frags instead of 7 nice colonies that took 3 years to grow :(

FURAN-2 My birdsnest started on the bottom and a more experienced member came over and said RTN. I am dipping in heavy Furan 2, Half a pack with about a quart of water for 5+ min and hit it with a turkey blaster, Seemed to stop it cold. No further bleaching that I can see. This is the second time I used this on Birdsnest. The first time, the SPS was given to me cause the coral was bleaching out rapidly, I did the dip, maybe 3 times and saved all of it, my friend lost all the rest of his in two days, seems to work and you cannot overdose the dip, heavy seems safe. Wear gloves, Furan has some nasty warnings. Iv been taking pics will post them sat if I can.

Side note- My show piece Yellow Fiji Leather was fading fast, grey, necrosis, it was bad, no apparent reason. I did the same dip twice and it bounced back in 5 days, even fraged itself. Furan-2 if all else fails or at the first sign of a problem.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.