• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Running a chiller

Just wanted to know how people are running there chiller. Are most of u guys running a seperate pump or are you guys running it through you main return pump. I just reconnected my chiller and taped it into the main return pump with a ball valve to control the flow into the chiller. Seems like it will work but i am no plumber but i noticed it usully runs a while for the temp to cool down is this suppose to be the case i have a 1/4 chiller on a 110 more than enough to cool down.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I run a chiller with a separate pump (mag 5). Check to see what the manufactures recommended gph is and then check your flow with a flowmeter. If the flow isn't sufficient you may have problems with the chiller. As far as it taking a long time (what do you consider a long time?) it may be due to the efficiently of your chiller.

Bob

I run mine on a separate pump.

I have a 1/3 hp on my 125 and use a mag 5 for a pump and return it into a sea swirl.

I currently am moving my pump from inside the tank (looks like crap) to an in line setup

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ynotme4886 said:
I run mine on a separate pump.

I have a 1/3 hp on my 125 and use a mag 5 for a pump and return it into a sea swirl.

Exact same way here.

i redid all my pluming no more hoses did an in line hook up looks much better and chiller seems to be working fine. Just a heads up i purchased two mag drive pumps brand new and replaced one and they all leaked. Had to purchase a blueline pump wouldnt recommend hooking up the mag drive external.

My mag is fine inline....however it is a bit noisy for some reason.

It just might be a bit too small for the distance it needs to travel.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been running a Mag 5 externally for over a year with no issues. When you connected the pipe/tubing did you put Teflon tape on the threads?

Bob

yea of course i did that they were leaking from the plate itself all brand new ones too. I had to return them all. It wasnt a major leak but enough to cause problems. Ive had a mag 12 in the sump for over two years with no problems until i removed it and tried to connect in line. Figured it was that pump due to it being rusty. But not the case. Those pumps were not really meant to be put in line or outside.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mag pumps are recommended for either internal or external use. They are water cooled so there is little benefit (other than space and priming) to keeping them out of the water, but they are recommended for either application. We have used several externally with no ill effects.