• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sales Forums

Ok if that's how it's "supposed" to be let's put a frag swap up for a vote. I'm sure we will see n overwhelming yes vote but when a thread is put up for volunteers we will hear crickets. It's easy to play keyboard BOD member but when it comes down to actual action we get near nothing. Hell we are having a hard time filling slots for RAP. Everyone wants it all but don't want to do anything when it comes to it. Anyone ever sit back and think "why have members who were active and on the BOD not around so much anymore?"

It is supposed to be done that way according to the By-Laws. All organizations are run where the membership has the final say...not the BOD. The topics are supposed to be brought up for discussion and then voted on by the membership. The BOD really has no power unless it is something against the welfare of the organization. And you are missing the point...if the Membership votes to have a swap or attend RAP, then it is on the members to help make sure it happens. If no one volunteers to help, then the BOD let's it go down in flames and there is no one, but the members to blame. The club has never been run this way in all the years I have been around, but it was always supposed to be. The BOD cannot make decisions without a vote from the membership.

Once upon a time I was against the for sale thread. I got into heated discussions about people who ONLY sold on the site. Offered nothing and caused problems when something didn't go like it was supposed to in their eyes or in the eyes of their customers. I also promoted group buys(running them for years with help from Steve and others), had meetings at my house ( had a speaker that I setup on my own speak at one meeting), was on the Conservation committee, am a MOD, bla bla bla. Why am I saying all that?

Going back to my first point I might be wrong. With MACNA we were concerned that with the large income we could be audited and the BOD would be liable for the income for all of MACNA which was if I remember correctly 250K ish maybe it was more it was extremely successful in thanks to Phyl and John's leadership(I always feel I should give credit where it is due) among others. What is our income now maybe 5-10G a year......nothing really compared to the potential liability of MACNA at the time. The likelihood of someone from the IRS trying to take away our non profit status for 10 G of income, not profit, is unlikely. Plus the reason we were concerned was that the sale forum MIGHT be a problem for non profit status. The likelihood of this was small but the potential risk was high due to the income of MACNA. So the risk reward of the sale forum created problems tied directly to MACNA. (side note there should have been audits done but to my knowledge the last one was done at Ed's house a long time ago...yes that was a fun benefit of being a member haha)

I am willing to chip in my 12 bucks a year for if nothing else the potential that something good MIGHT come from it. But I agree with those that ask what does it really give me? For most it would be a for sale thread, and they would benefit more if it was open to all because they would be more likely to sell what they needed to sell, find a deal, or find an animal they are looking for if everyone could post so in reality they are getting less because it is only open to them!

Yes I might have to MOD again with vigor, there will be arguments, and I am sure idiots will get on my nerves. But for the community we might actually need it. I have changed my mind I think we should try and bring it back and see how it goes.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree what ^ James said except with one more concern there might be a problem with.
If we do let people sell stuff, the BOD would have to keep an eye on how much people sell. There were people selling more things than our paid vendors were offering. So our paid vendors were not happy.

I agree what ^ James said except with one more concern there might be a problem with.
If we do let people sell stuff, the BOD would have to keep an eye on how much people sell. There were people selling more things than our paid vendors were offering. So our paid vendors were not happy.

Honestly...a way around that is that the For Sale Section is for Used gear being sold by individuals. No new items. That would also work with our mission of helping new people get into reefing to save the world's reefs.

I am just curious if the BOD is meeting weekly who is posting the meeting minutes on the site. As paid members we have the right to know what is going on. And it should be a final vote by the members. What brought us to the site where the Frag swaps the For Sale Forum and the club meetings. We have hosted many meetings at our home. We have also helped a lot of members on this site. The For Sale Forum and Swaps might bring some issues but it would also be a big boost for the club.

The first thing I would like to say is that I appreciate your feedback. Trust me this isn't a decision that has been made lightly. The BOD has been meeting weekly since we have taken office. This has been a topic that has been a top focus for us.

Responses to your points:

1. We are reaching out directly to new members and encouraging them to become paid members. Since February the club has seen an increase of about 14 new paid members; granted we don't know how that compares to past years.

2. We have approximately 220 paid members. I do agree that we do not have the member numbers that we used to have and the current BOD is looking at different ways to change this. Again, this is something that we are working on in our weekly meetings. As so well pointed out currently there isn't many/if any benefit to becoming a NJRC Members and making the sale forum public removes another 'benefit'.

3. I do understand where you are coming from. The BOD does understand having the sale thread private might drive folks away to other sites. We have discussed this during our meetings and we feel that many of those folks might be more about selling/finding dirty cheap equipment than becoming a valuable members of our club. We feel they will only sell/buy but not contribute any other way to help improve the club as a whole. We truly and sincerely want to improve the club as a whole with the focus of education.

4. We have looked at the benefits of being a paid member and are actively searching for more benefits for paid members. We understand the frustration. During the discussions we did entertain the idea of making posting for paid members only but allowing others to view. We feel that this might get abuse with people doing deals in PMs; which could be happening now but we just feel it might increase. We also have the Want to BUY forum where a new member can post they are looking for something. Again, we understand that this might not be the perfect solution but currently it is an option.

5. 501c3 is an important topic. It shows other vendors that we are a nonprofit club. The status can potentially help us to support our mission of educating others. If we lose our 501c3 status then we will need to pay taxes as a club. Paying taxes will pull money away from the club which is used to pay for expenses; such as our website. We can also use the status to get donations for: frag swaps, club meetings, etc. We can also use it to get discounts on event spaces rentals. Also being part of MASNA provides the club an avenue to get guest speakers for events.

6. The BOD is willing to share the voting process in the spirit of transparency. We have discussed every aspect of the sales forum for the last couple of months. As a group, we decided to take a vote of what option to go with. The BOD voted and the result was that for now it is going to remain as is.

Hey guys so I read all this and was debating on speaking since I'm sorta still new here and haven't had a chance to make it to a meeting yet but since I'm paid up for the year I figure I'd at least ask a question. When I first started here I didn't relies there was a paid side of things but I asked for help and a lot of paid members came to my aid with guidance and equipment and it was awesome I later found out about the paid side and joined right away I probably wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for the help I received as non paid .. I've seen numerous post on here about discussion about the benefits of being a member and mostly they have been talk about what we could do to make it better and have not come to action it seems to me that having a for sale side visable to non paid members is a benefit that we would be taking away from as other members described an already short list of benefits.. I think what the member ship would like as a benefit is open communication on club changes from the board to club members so they can have a voice in the matter .. if the board meets alone and the members only make a few meetings a year because of there schedule they feel left in the dark and powerless when a change is made. I'VE personally asked about club by-laws the administrative process and elections on a forum regarding those matters and no one from the board responded .. that to me was a little disappointing but we all have busy lives so I chalked it up to that but food for thought every club or organization I have been to the membership as a whole has to vote on a major change.. especially if they are paid members and board would make a change with out the members in a emergency situation.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Hey guys so I read all this and was debating on speaking since I'm sorta still new here and haven't had a chance to make it to a meeting yet but since I'm paid up for the year I figure I'd at least ask a question. When I first started here I didn't relies there was a paid side of things but I asked for help and a lot of paid members came to my aid with guidance and equipment and it was awesome I later found out about the paid side and joined right away I probably wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for the help I received as non paid .. I've seen numerous post on here about discussion about the benefits of being a member and mostly they have been talk about what we could do to make it better and have not come to action it seems to me that having a for sale side visable to non paid members is a benefit that we would be taking away from as other members described an already short list of benefits.. I think what the member ship would like as a benefit is open communication on club changes from the board to club members so they can have a voice in the matter .. if the board meets alone and the members only make a few meetings a year because of there schedule they feel left in the dark and powerless when a change is made. I'VE personally asked about club by-laws the administrative process and elections on a forum regarding those matters and no one from the board responded .. that to me was a little disappointing but we all have busy lives so I chalked it up to that but food for thought every club or organization I have been to the membership as a whole has to vote on a major change.. especially if they are paid members and board would make a change with out the members in a emergency situation.

Jeremy I don't recall seeing you requesting some of that information but could had easily over looked it (I been very busy with setting up an event in my home town). I been working with the other bod members on given more controls back to the club because this club should be ran by it's members. Not sure if you noticed but I posted meeting notes from the July meeting, July 2017 Public Meeting Minutes, I plan on making that a new thing for members who are unable to make it to the meeting to see what was talked about. About the Bi-laws, I need to make sure the copy I have is the correct copy and then I am going to work on getting that up on our website.

I think what the member ship would like as a benefit is open communication on club changes from the board to club members so they can have a voice in the matter .. if the board meets alone and the members only make a few meetings a year because of there schedule they feel left in the dark and powerless when a change is made. I'VE personally asked about club by-laws the administrative process and elections on a forum regarding those matters and no one from the board responded .. that to me was a little disappointing but we all have busy lives so I chalked it up to that but food for thought every club or organization I have been to the membership as a whole has to vote on a major change.. especially if they are paid members and board would make a change with out the members in a emergency situation.

Exactly this....I mentioned this a while back and had a discussion through PM about it. Every organization I have ever been a part of....all decisions came down to the membership. Not the 5-6 board members. If anyone would like to talk about it more, please PM me.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Not sure why that discussion would happen in a private conversation if "transparency" is what everyone thinks they are looking for.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
And I'll reiterate the point that if anyone wants to change something step up the the plate and run for a BOD position. This year we practically had to beg to fill the positions.

Not sure why that discussion would happen in a private conversation if "transparency" is what everyone thinks they are looking for.

I was approached by a BOD member by PM. It is not my place to ignore that and bring it public.

And I'll reiterate the point that if anyone wants to change something step up the the plate and run for a BOD position. This year we practically had to beg to fill the positions.

Why is the answer always, "Then run for the BOD?" Not all of us have the time that it takes to be part of the BOD. I for one know how much time it takes...and I give everyone that does sit on the BOD a ton of credit for putting in the thankless hours. With that being said, that does not mean that other members do not have time to partake in ideation, discussion, and voting.

In my experience with clubs and organizations when a issue comes to light such as the one brought up in this thread the board would have a meeting about it discuss the options in depth and come up with a clear thought out report which is then brought to the members explaining the issue and the options at that point a motion is made to make what ever changes it is then voted on by the membership for the motion to pass there has to be greater then 55 % of the members who were present during the voting process in favor of or against any thing less then 55 % means that matter needs to be further reviewed and discussed and brought to the table again at another meeting. Absentee votes can be called in (should a member be unavailable to vote).
In most clubs or organizations the Executive board is in place not to have over all power to change, add, or make ect.. but to be the guiding voice of the club in such matters, yes they have official power in some aspects but it is the membership as a whole that governs. when members are required to pay dues this is even more important cause people don't want to feel like they paid for one aspect of the club they liked only to worry that someone on a the board my feel it needs to be changed and they are powerless to try and prevent it or at least give a voice to it
just food for thought based on my past experiences ..

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Lets me first state that this is just me speaking and not the board.

I think what the member ship would like as a benefit is open communication on club changes from the board to club members so they can have a voice in the matter .. if the board meets alone and the members only make a few meetings a year because of there schedule they feel left in the dark and powerless when a change is made. I'VE personally asked about club by-laws the administrative process and elections on a forum regarding those matters and no one from the board responded .. that to me was a little disappointing but we all have busy lives so I chalked it up to that but food for thought every club or organization I have been to the membership as a whole has to vote on a major change.. especially if they are paid members and board would make a change with out the members in a emergency situation.

I agree that the club would benefit from open communication and the current board is working on that. I will admit its a slow processes and not going as smoothly as I thought it would had. Please note that to my understanding the only issues that could be consider done behind close doors was the decision on not opening the Sale Form but I don't totally agree it was done behind close doors. The Sale Form has been a hot topic for awhile not just recently. It was one topic that I seen (before I became a board member) discussed many times on this site. Like other topics of discussions I noticed that the debate (yes debate not a argument because both sides have points and respected each other's views) would dye down with no clear answers. When I joined the BOD one of the things I wanted to do was to provide that clear answer and not have it just sitting out there unanswered. We took those points during the debates and discussed them among ourselves. We then came up with the decision on not to open the form at this time due to other issues that the BOD felt was more pressing.

In my experience with clubs and organizations when a issue comes to light such as the one brought up in this thread the board would have a meeting about it discuss the options in depth and come up with a clear thought out report which is then brought to the members explaining the issue and the options at that point a motion is made to make what ever changes it is then voted on by the membership for the motion to pass there has to be greater then 55 % of the members who were present during the voting process in favor of or against any thing less then 55 % means that matter needs to be further reviewed and discussed and brought to the table again at another meeting. Absentee votes can be called in (should a member be unavailable to vote).
In most clubs or organizations the Executive board is in place not to have over all power to change, add, or make ect.. but to be the guiding voice of the club in such matters, yes they have official power in some aspects but it is the membership as a whole that governs. when members are required to pay dues this is even more important cause people don't want to feel like they paid for one aspect of the club they liked only to worry that someone on a the board my feel it needs to be changed and they are powerless to try and prevent it or at least give a voice to it
just food for thought based on my past experiences ..

Yes many different organizations have different ways of addressing issues. To me it seems like this club was ran differently and I'm not sure if it was like that from day 1 or if it just went that way over time. As I stated I am working on trying to move to more member driven club but its a slow processes mainly when people are not willing to step up and help out in areas. There are a handful of members who do help out but it always the same select few.

Just as Kev posted. When I joined the club the POTM contest was dead. We got it going again because the members wanted it. During that time most of the drumming up was done by Kev or myself (with a member or two chiming in at time). When I became a BOD member I continued to 'run' the POTM but I was the only one drumming up the contest. I felt if the members wanted more power here is a baby set. Let them run the POTM because it was becoming too much work for me with everything else. I post the thread looking for people to run it. We got two people to run it and that just happened at the July meeting.

It takes small steps for change to happen. If you want a chance there no remote you need to get up and change it. I used that saying for me to go for a seat on the BOD here as well was helping to improve my town's soccer league. We all have busy lives it just how badly you want to see a change.

I think that these good ideas among members here and hope to see them to continue and developed into something to help improve this club.