• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salifert test kit + zeobak & coral snow help please.

kevin

NJRC Member
Short story; The only time I've tested a tank was when I first started this hobby a few years ago. It was for nitrate,nitrite, & ammonia.
I have two pH probes for my apex.

I just got salifert mg, alk, and calcium test kits in today.
(have a hanna checker for phosphate)
i have the calcium checker coming in the mail

75g tank, 3 rbta nems, 2rock nems, few lps, 5 chalices, quite a few acans, zoa's. (2 SPS, LOL. which I just got recently)
I do about a 12-15g water change weekly.

I ran the tests tonight & it's been a week since I did a water change with reef crystals

dkh between 9.3-10.4 ( I ran this test a little fast, but its somewhere in there)
Calcium 480
mg didn't even read. The test stayed pink the whole time. I believe I did the test perfectly fine.

Do the above readings sound right?

I'm also having a cyano/hair algae problem. I run gfo, carbon, large skimmer, chaeto.. etc.

I purchased zeobak & coral snow by Korallen-Zuch. I read Sunny had good results of getting rid of cyano with them.
Zeobak bottle says 1 drop per 25gallons twice per week
BulkReefSupply says "Start by dosing 2-4 drops per 25 gallons every day for two weeks. Subsequently reduce the dose to 1-2 drops per 25 gallons once or twice a week."

coralsnow bottle says 1ml per 25gal dose every day.

Does this sound right?

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
What's the phosphate reading? As for the mag it means your higher than the test normally reads. Run the test again and when you empty the first 1ml of solution fill the syringe with another 1ml and continue testing. Once the color changes add up how much solution you've used and you get figure out your mag that way.

kevin

NJRC Member
What's the phosphate reading? As for the mag it means your higher than the test normally reads. Run the test again and when you empty the first 1ml of solution fill the syringe with another 1ml and continue testing. Once the color changes add up how much solution you've used and you get figure out your mag that way.

pho's reading 0. Assuming the algae is soaking it all up. I'll try the mag again tomorrow!

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Hmm, so Sunny had success with zeobak and coral snow - I see. :)

Start dosing coral snow with 1/4 dose that is recommend on the bottle. Add 4 drops of ZeoBaK per 100G to coral snow. Mix well. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
Stir again after 10 minutes and dose in DT.

3 times a week.

If your chaeto is growing you have P04. Unless you control that results will be slow. If cyano is in DT blow it away.

BTW, did u get ZeoBak locally?

kevin

NJRC Member
Hmm, so Sunny had success with zeobak and coral snow - I see. :)

Start dosing coral snow with 1/4 dose that is recommend on the bottle. Add 4 drops of ZeoBaK per 100G to coral snow. Mix well. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
Stir again after 10 minutes and dose in DT.

3 times a week.

If your chaeto is growing you have P04. Unless you control that results will be slow. If cyano is in DT blow it away.

BTW, did u get ZeoBak locally?

Thanks for the instructions! No, I got it from BRS. I did priority so it came in 2 days.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK Thanks.

There is also a 3rd ingredient, the secret ingredient. That is Zeozym. However you system is not that big so do not buy that.
You will probably have to dose 1/2 teaspoon once a week. Come over and I will give you some to try.

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Please read what I said. It will take weeks and not hours for it to go away.
You will also have to reduce P04 if you are too high..

kevin

NJRC Member
Please read what I said. It will take weeks and not hours for it to go away.
You will also have to reduce P04 if you are too high..

yes, yes.. I didn't think it would cure overnight. Was just saying it didn't look any better yet!