• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand bed recommendations

If you had the chance to start over what type of sand bed would you go with?

I have a 175 gallon display tank and 45 gallon fuge. I used to run a deep sand bed in the fuge and about a two inch sand bed in the display.

The deep sand bed in the fuge remained algae free, while the sand bed in the main display always battle cyano. Also battle Dino in the tank for years so that is the main reason I am starting over.

Any feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I like a sand bed cause to me it seem more natural. Keeping my phospate low seems to help keep the sand clean. Also snails and my sand star help as well. I put 40lbs of sand in my 54 corner. Not sure how deep it is

Yup, 1-2 inches, deeper just collects more detritus for the long haul. I wish I had a little coarser sand, I reused the sand I got with the tank and it's a little fine for critters to burrow through.

The Jaubert style tanks of old, when I was first starting out tended to be high nutrient systems. These days a shallower bed with above sand export mechanisms seems to be the way to go. I just don't see a deep sand bed being a major force in collecting and exporting nitrogenous waste and converting it to gas; just too little movement between the sand bed and water column. It may make sense in a huge ocean reef, but we're limited in the surface area of the sand to absorb nutrients, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I use the Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand and am very happy with it. Started with approx. 2" bed but, as I have a pistol shrimp, bed ranges from .00000001" to 18 feet.

I've always been an advocate of using DSB's. I started my last tank in '97 with about 3+" using Southdown, and after reading Dr. Shimek's articles in '02, I slowly increased it to ~ 6+". The DSB, along with ~ 75lbs. if Pukani rock was my primary filtration system, and kept both NO3 and PO4 at low levels good enough for the softies, LPS and clams I was keeping at the time(NO3 >5/PO4 >1). When I started to add SPS, I had to get those levels even lower so I started carbon dosing and added a GFO reactor to get the best color, and growth from the SPS. Between the DSB, LR, BP's and GFO I was able to find a nutrients balance that was acceptable for all the critters(NO3 ~ .5/PO4~.03).
If you're going to keep a DSB, I would suggest you follow the principals discussed in Dr. Shimek's book to the letter. Using the right type and size of substrate is important for the reasons discussed in the book, providing the best environment for the micro-fauna needed to keep the DSB healthy. Essentially, if you keep your micro-fauna healthy, they will keep your DSB healthy. I found that adding both this and this, along with an occasional booster very beneficial.
I would also suggest using some type of snails to keep the surface clean and loose, i.e. Conchs(if appropriate), Cerith and Nassarius Vibrex snails are good choices for the sand bed. Leopard Wrasses can help here too.

Ron Shimek's Website...Deep Sand Beds

When I had to break the system down a couple years ago(thank you Terri, Anthony, George, et. al.), there was no sign of H2S, not even an unpleasant odor(after 17 years). I spoke to the reefer (Ryan),who bought the contents of my system about 6 months ago, and he said all was still good.

Thanks guys for your feedback. Looks like you can be successful with different approaches. I'll do some more sea hint and reading before I make a choice.

One additional question, do most who use a shallower sand bed routinely vacuum it? I believe with the deep sand bed you would rely on snails to stir the top of the bed, but other than that you leave it alone.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm currently in a tank blackout. Due to some high temps I lost a few corals. Temp back under control and survivors recovering well, but it left me with a nasty looking brown stringy algae that clumped all over the sandbed. So, as I have a shallow I vacuumed with the latest water change. Forgot how nice pristine sand looks. So, I plan on vacuuming a bit each change. Please note I've also got an exclusive snail CUC that works the bed as well as aforementioned pistol shrimp.

Definitely get a conch if you have a lot of sand, I have 1-2 inches, and that may not be enough for him/her, but he does a swell job of churning it when he's awake.

I haven't cleaned mine, but I doubt I will. I think the important take away with whatever method is to balance nutrients like downBeach mentioned. Everyone has their preferences for keeping the microherd happy.

If I had more room I'd aim for a big refugium with 3" of sand, lots of chaeto and some rock rubble. Lots of cool creatures you can keep with decent sand bed, your future wrasses will thank you.

Biggest concern for me is space, lose valuable real estate with a deep sand bed. I had 4 inches on my planted tank and boy do I regret that, not the same thing though, but was a royal pain to take down. That's my hesitation mostly, from putting it in and never being able to go back and undo on a related tank.

Last edited:
Conchs, sea cucumbers, etc are a big help. I have about a 4-5 inch DSB with oomlite sand .... tank is 8 years old and no problems at the moment. I have had my share of issues just like everyone but none caused by the sand. I do the small typhoon thing on parts of the bed ever once in while usually around the edge to spiffy up the tank.

But sand is all a personal choice any variety can work if you do everything else right.