• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sand bed ?

what would you say, the place iam buying said i would need 160 lbs for 2 1/2 sand bed. not looking for deep sand bed, but dont want to end up with bare spots.

I went with a 2 to 3 inch sanded when I set up my 120. I think I used 2 to 3 30 pound bags of tropic eden reef flakes. It was pretty enlightening how dirty it was when I broke down that tank a month ago and I was pretty religious about cleaning what I could once a week.

My current tank has a footprint of 72" X 36" and 3 30 pound bags of reef flakes gave me 1" of cover. At first the currents would leave a bare spot or two but now it's staying in place.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is an easy question to answer, NONE, run bare bottom! Hahaha ;) . The flow you can achieve with BB will keep corals happy, and you do not have to maintain the sandbed. So it's a double win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Or you could go with more a rubble look and it won't get blown around like fine sand so you could do just a thin layer easier to clean with just a turkey blaster once a week. Just a thought

Depends too on how much rock you put down. I have a fairly wide covering of rock(I laid it down first on top of cutting boards FYI) so I think I used like 120 lb total and my sand bed is probably 4-6 inches but there a rock base under my two rock islands...4x2 120G. I mixed some live sand and some dry to save on cost.