• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sand cleaning help

I siphon out about 1/2 a bucket of sand that have red slimmy algea on it (cyano). How can I clean the sand and put it back in my tank? suggest, advice is needed.
Olivier

john90009

NJRC Member
well leaving it in pitch black should kill off any algea then make fresh salt water - liek 3 buckets worth or it and dump it in one bucket mix it, then drain the dirty water then throw the sand in bucket 2(clean saltwater)mix it, dump out bad water then into bucket 3(more clean water) should clean it.

As far as the putting it back goes. When I added sand to my tank when it was already established, I used a cake icing bag and cut the hole at the bottom a little larger.

I used a clip to close off the hole, and then unclipped once i had the bag where I wanted it.

This helped prevent a sand storm all over my tank.

Worked like a charm.

And of course I had my pumps off.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Take the sand and put it in a bucket with salt water and rinse it. Keep doing this with fresh saltwater until the water comes out pretty clear. Keep it in salt water to keep it live sand and then you can add it back. People have had luck with pvc pipe and using that to slowly add the sand back in without a sand storm.

Go to your local fish store and get red slime remover , its made by ultra reef products. its pricey but works well.

Good Luck

red slime remover does work good but make sure skimmer off. Then it will go crazy with foam once turnewd back on.