• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand from the Carribean

Over the summer the family took a trip to the Carribean for a week and my brother asked me to bring home some wet sand from the beach, So I brought home 2- 32 ounce bottles filled with wet sand from the water, I went out about 1/4 mile off shore to get it.the bottles weighted about 6-7 pounds each, suitcase weight problem yes, but I managed I gave him one and I keep one and added it to my display tank. Since then my sand bed has never stayed so clean, I use to stir it up a little once a week. Now I don't even touch the sand. Amazing how different the sand bed looks after a month and a half. Even the texture of the sand looks better. I might have to start doing this every time I hit the Carribean........

The sand from the ocean runs through ur hands like water, amazing the color difference from there to here, your right Trio it's like Mud here,,,it's like liquid gold sand from there...... I wouldn't take it from our beaches here, not even close... The bottle I gave to my brother a month after I got home and the little water that was in it stayed as clear as it was when I put it in there and the sand was the same...........smelt funny I guess from the bacteria

Horseplay.... No other changes its been 2 months and my tank is doing Great,, it's a mixed reef with a little more SPS now than other corals but everything's perfect,, my alkalinity was a little high but I just hooked up my calcium reactor and it's finally tuned in and my levels are right where I like them calcium -465. Alkalinity - 9.25,,,
The only thing is that zoas don't do well in my tank , My brothers says water to clean and zoas like dirty water ,,, so I gave alot of frags away for the most part and put the others in my sons tank... I'm not big on selling corals. So the sand worked well,, my brother has sand from 4-6 different islands in his tank....