• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sand or no sand ??

Sand or no sand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So i currently have sand in my tank. I am tearing it down for my move and I am considering not putting sand in the new tank.
What do you have sand or no sand. Please cast your vote

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I like a heavier sand like aragonite that helps keep ph balanced, is small enough for burrowers, big enough not to get blown around.
Makes the tank look natural. I've done barebottom and algae attaching to it as well as detritus blowing across it doesn't look too nice, plus theres a bit of reflection off the bottom glass that looks un-natural.
JMHO.
BTW, I use Carribisea Special Grade Reef, will never have a tank without it at this point.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I like a heavier sand like aragonite that helps keep ph balanced, is small enough for burrowers, big enough not to get blown around.
Makes the tank look natural. I've done barebottom and algae attaching to it as well as detritus blowing across it doesn't look too nice, plus theres a bit of reflection off the bottom glass that looks un-natural.
JMHO.
BTW, I use Carribisea Special Grade Reef, will never have a tank without it at this point.

I would paint the bottom glass black. My concern is I have wrasses that like sand, I have a star fish, I have a sea hare, and some snails that really like the sand. I also have an algae blenny

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I went sandless in my 90g and 40g for 5 years. My new build will start out with sand for the 1st year to help it with bacteria. Then after that I will slowly remove a little at a time with each water change. Take 6-8 months to remove. Having a bare bottom you can see the amount of poo & detritus that doesn't make it out.

Definitely benefits and troubles each way. Personally I like sand for its looks as well as how other creatures use it. Yes sometimes it’s a pain but for me. I like it

The only thing I can add to this is the consideration of the benefits of a sand bed against the cons. The original thoughts of sand beds aside from the simple it looks nice was the beneficial bacteria that lives in the sand bed adding to the eco system. take time to think about what you lose from not having a sand bed such as tank inhabitants that need the substrate to hide in or the ones that spend there time in the substrate as part of there natural routine. I too have thought about bare bottom but then decided against it because of the cons, but that was because of what I wanted in my tank. The point being make sure you think about the pros and the cons as well as what you can and shouldn't add with out the sand bed because there a lot out there about bare bottoms that only speak of cleanliness and Aesthetic value but don't really mention the bigger picture. Its not a matter of is one better then the other its more a matter of what is better for your plans for the tank and if it limits or improves that