• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sand storm

I got new sand last night a picked up pre-rinsed sand so I could just dump it is and get stuff done. Well didn't work that way i dumped the sand last night and still cant see the back wall of the tank. Also for just plain live sand it has a lot of shells and other crap in it. I could have gotten equal quality with a shovel at the shore. Has quality gone down that much or was this stuff misbagged, I don't know.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Depends on what grade of sand you got. Reef grade sand is a mixture of grain sizes and larger shell pieces. All the live sands are sorted by grade/size and all contain shell pieces. The size of the shells depends on the grade of sand you get. Finer the grade, smaller the pieces.

when I used "dry" sand - it took a while for the cloudiness to disappear. With the 'live' sand I got from AO - it took maybe an hour for it to clear up.

As for shells - exactly what matt said - it depends on what type you get. The sand with shell is helpful for species that are diggers that need the larger pieces to prop up their tunnels.

Wow, great timing. I was about to post the same question.

Put my sand, water and rock in last night. It's still cloudy as heck in there. Way too cloudy to do my rock work yet, so it's just piled in there.

Is it better to keep the pump running or not running til it settles?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Let it run and use either a filter sock or a micron filter pad to help filter out the small particles.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have never seen nor heard of Coralife selling sand. Are you sure it wasn't CaribSea Ocean Direct sand? If it was the CaribSea, then it is a reef grade sand collected in the Caribbean and does contain quite a bit of larger sized pieces of shell and broken coral. This is the sand I used in my last tank and it took about 3 days to settle out.