• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand

I need more sand for my tank and was wondering what is a good alternative to live sand at the LFS that price makes me angry. I would like to seed some plan sand but every one has silica in it. Any suggestions or am I just a an idiot and shouls buy the EXPENSIVE stuff. Bobb

Well it is sort of painful but I personally went with Caribsea. For me I didn't want additional possible problems.

I bought at Drs F&S but check out http://www.tfjpetcenter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=20 if you can pickup the prices are pretty good. Shipping from most online places is killer....premiumaquatics would have been like 250 shipping :eek:.

If you have live sand now then you really only need dry sand right so it isn't too terrible.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you know someone who has live sand, you can always ask for some extra to seed your tank. You don't need a full live sand bed to start a tank, just seed from an established tank. Personally, I went to Tropiquarium and bought the live sand there at least they have several different sized bags so you won't have to drop a ton of money.

I did get a bucket of live sand so seeding is not the problem. I went to HD and LOWES and there sand has silica in it. If I could find it with out the silica I will buy just dont know where to get it. I will check out F&S