• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Schooling fish other than anthias

Anthias look great, but I know I'm not up for feeding them 3x a day. So I'm looking for other options of schooling fish. Granted there won't be any predators in the 120g, but I'm looking at other options. Here's the stocking plan as of now:
2 ocellaris or maybe percula if I can't find the right ocellaris
1 yellow tang
1 midas blenny
1 orange back fairy wrasse
1 yellow wrasse
1 pink bar goby
Would still like to do a copper banded butterfly too

Yellowstripe cardinals in a shoal are nice and are more active than banggai, but not as bright a color as other fish. Mouth brooding and they do breed in captivity. Very peaceful.
I’m pretty sure chromis need multiple feedings a day too. A pod source and/or auto feeder ($20 on Amazon plus batteries once every month or two) can help with that though, and Anthias are worth it.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Haus I’ve read that about chromis many times. I have 7, I feed once a day m-f, twice a day on most weekends. I’m starting to feel bad, but they’re doing fine over the last 5 months they’ve been in there. I haven’t lost any to aggression yet either. Am I just getting lucky?

Don’t know. I have a single Bartlett’s that I feed the same as you do your chromis. I also have a fuge with plentiful pods.
The owner of the shop said he had Bartlett’s in his main display for a while and only fed once daily, and they did fine. When I bought mine I also ordered the auto feeder, have had it for a month or so now and still haven’t set t up. I intend to this weekend, as I intended last weekend, and the weekend before that, etc....

OP, I’ve read that Bartlett’s schools don’t do well in captivity as eventually they all tend to turn male and fight each other off. Lyretails are apparently easier to keep in a school. Regardless, the anthias are beautiful.

Anthias look great, but I know I'm not up for feeding them 3x a day. So I'm looking for other options of schooling fish. Granted there won't be any predators in the 120g, but I'm looking at other options. Here's the stocking plan as of now:
1 yellow tang
1 midas blenny
1 yellow wrasse
1 pink bar goby

Green chromis school great. Get about 6.
I only feed my anthias 2x a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow head sleeper gobies school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
1 yellow tang
1 midas blenny
1 yellow wrasse
1 pink bar goby