• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scratch removal

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it possible to remove scratches from a glass tank? If so, how would one do it?

I have the opportunity to pick up another tank pretty cheap, but it has some scratches in the lower left corner of the front panel. It won't make for a nice display with those scratches, but may make a nice frag tank if I can't get them out.

I have see methods for removing scratches from automobile glass using kits similar to this - offsite link - http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2024&itemType=PRODUCT

However, these methods only work on very shallow scratches. If you can run your fingernail across the scratch, and it catches, the scratch is too deep to remove.

I don't see why you couldn't use such a kit on aquarium glass that is not tempered. However, it's usually a lot less work or effort to replace the tank, and use the old tank as a sump on another system.