• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scratches in glass

I am considering a purchase of a large glass tank but it has a few minor scratches in it. Does anyone know if there any way to get them off or even just minimize them in any way?

Thanks
Tim

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I haven't seen anything that makes me go Hmmm yet. I've been looking. I've got a few scratches in my 120. They're not really super noticable. Some people recommend the windshield repair stuff (but I don't know if it is reef safe), other say that you can buff a scratch, it just takes a while because glass is so hard.

I'd be interested in the answer if you find one. Some day, if my 120 were ever empty, I'd give scratch removal a whirl myself.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Depending upon the depth of the scratches, you can get rid of them with Cerium oxide and a drill. It will take several hours though. If your nail gets stuck in the scratch then you have to first use multiple grit pads and then cerium oxide. FYI Cerium Oxide is non toxic. I have a buffing pad and some Cerium oxide for sale if you are interested. PM me.

We put tempered glass windows in the boats that we build and they often arrive with scratches and imperfections. We have a special buffer that is connected to a water hose to wet sand the glass. It is a lot of time and effort though! Maybe you could find a professional to do it for you! Don't know what it would cost.