• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scratching my head

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK so for past 2 weeks or so I am seeing massive amount of cyano in my frag tank. It is only in the frag tank and not a trace in DT. Flow is not an issue because the fish can barely stay still :). Corals cannot stand properly either.

Why would cyano thrive in the frag tank only? Water turnover is a 1.5 inch drain and a mag 18 feeds it. It is all connected to my system.

Thoughts?

Hey Sunny... off topic but the frags I picked up on Monday are doing well.

I had an outbreak as well at one point and I couldn't figure it out... I cleaned it all out and put the power heads pointing towards where the outbreak was. So far... so good. Let me know if you need any help.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Definitely strange. I don't really know why but I have seen similar where cyano would grow in the sump and fuge but none at all in the display.

C

charterreefer

Hi Sunny, When I first had cyano in my system several months ago it started growing on the eggcrate (white plastic), then a little spread onto a few rocks. I noticed you had a biopellet reactor while picking up those frags from you a few weeks ago (there doing great btw). Did you try adding a little nitrate to skew the redfield ratio? A little gfo might help (I don't think you were running any when I was there).
Lou

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yet another thought......Enter - Exit location for this spurred off frag tank

Where are the plumbing locations for the pickup of water and the exit of water from this frag tank? Could it be, if too close together, it's just circulating the water, and not "refreshing" it?

Here is a thought. DT is healthy with rock covered in coralline...corals..fish..inverts. There is some natural resistance to allowing cyano take hold...and there are not many bare areas in DT that meet all the optimal conditions for cyano to take hold. Alternatively, there are large open areas in the frag tank, lights are strong, but not a lot of shading out the bottom (frag rack)....bio resistance is comparatively small....more ideal conditions for cyano to get a hold. Just a theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk