• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Screen Top

Does anyone know if the screen you can buy from HD is okay to use as a cover on a tank. I know its not metal but more of a fabric.

Josh

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Their plastic screen is just fine. Realize you will loose a fair amount of light through the screen. I actually used screening as part of my light acclimation when going to LEDs.

Their plastic screen is just fine. Realize you will loose a fair amount of light through the screen. I actually used screening as part of my light acclimation when going to LEDs.

Is it pretty much the same as what you get in a kit? I have a glass top but I'm trying not to loose light. Whats a common screen used to keep small fish in?

I use bird block netting. I got it from HD, outside in the gardening section. I'll give you some if your ever in the Yardville area.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have extra from the BRS kit. Plenty to cover a 40 tall. The brs stuff is the best because it is 1/4 inch which will keep pretty much any fish in, clear so it does not block a ton of light and does not cast a shadow.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it pretty much the same as what you get in a kit? I have a glass top but I'm trying not to loose light. Whats a common screen used to keep small fish in?

I thought you were talking about conventional screen you find on a storm door. The bird netting mentined above is much more open than convention screen and therefore will allow more light. The BRS screen (FOUND HERE), comes clear and is available in ¼ inch and ½ inch sizes.

I thought you were talking about conventional screen you find on a storm door. The bird netting mentined above is much more open than convention screen and therefore will allow more light. The BRS screen (FOUND HERE), comes clear and is available in ¼ inch and ½ inch sizes.

I was talking about the screen door screen originally. But I guess I have to go with something that lets more light in and keeps things out as well.