• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scribbled Rabbitfish

Anyone have any experience with these?

Have been reading that they are known for grazing on nuisance algae, and picking up the slack on the algaes the tangs won't eat.

Is the foxfaced known for the same?

I'm hesitant about them for 2 reasons, 1: the venomous spines (i get allergic reactions when the wind blows the wrong way) and 2: the cautions about them being fond of nipping on zoas and other soft corals, particularly zoas.

Anyone with any practical experience to share?

A foxface IS a rabbitfish. It's not a scribbled one.

S. vulpinus is known as the "Foxface Rabbitfish" but people just called it a "foxface".

They are very good about eating algae but as far as I can recall - they are prolific poopers like tangs. The one positive I like though is if you have a tang that is hesitant about eating algae - after they see the foxface go for it - they will join in the festivity.

I can't speak to the nipping of zoas as I had my foxface long ago in a fish-only.

Yes, I know the foxface is a rabitfish. The question was about one potentially being more of a nuesance anglae eater the the other. I was reading a book yesterday and the author mentioned the scribbled rabbitfish specifically being a nuisance algae eater, just hadn't heard it before and was looking to see if anyone had any practical experience with the scribbled rabbitfish, or the foxface rabbitfish being a nuisance algae eater. There are occasions where one subspecies will be more prone to a particular behavior than another. Like different angels being coral nippers and not.

Scribbled Rabbit is Siganus doliatus: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mage_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CBAQ9QEwAg

Foxface rabbit is Siganus vulpinus : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxface_rabbitfish

Thanks.

I have a Foxface Lo, he is a great algae eater and Hawkeye was right about the tang thing. My Purple tang starting eating all kinds algae after the Foxface was introduced. I haven't seen him nip at anything he shouldn't I have lots of zoos and he doesn't bother them. He is the most skittish fish I have. I have my hands in the tank all of the time and he runs the other way. I think you would really have to grab him to get whacked with the fins. I told my wife last night he was the best investment I ever made. He cleared out a TON of bubble algae and has actually started reeking havoc on the bryopsis I had been lucky enough to have gotten from a LFS!

Sweet. Foxfaces are usually easily found at stores. Haven't seen a scribbled rabbitfish that I can recall. I think maybe I'm more drawn to that one because it isn't as prevalent and "common". But if I can't find one, I may try the foxface.

Thanks for everyones input so far.

mfisher2112 said:
Sweet. Foxfaces are usually easily found at stores. Haven't seen a scribbled rabbitfish that I can recall. I think maybe I'm more drawn to that one because it isn't as prevalent and "common". But if I can't find one, I may try the foxface.

Foxfaces are the same family as scribbled....they are all Rabbitfish :)

mfisher2112 said:

send a pm to ao and i'm sure he'll line you up with one!

9supratt4 said:
Foxfaces are the same family as scribbled....they are all Rabbitfish :)

This true. Was curious as to whether one was better suited to it than the other. Just like certain angels will desimate reef tanks, and others wont. Same species, different behaviors among sub species.

That, and the scribbled isn't as common, so that automatically makes it more attractive to me! ;D

Hawkeye said:
send a pm to ao and i'm sure he'll line you up with one!

Thanks hawk, but AO is a heckuva drive for me (over 2 hours one way). Gonna see if I can't get one of the closer places to see about getting me one. Probably after the holidays when things start to settle down for everyone.