• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SCUBA Dive Training and Certificaton

I spoke with Phyl and she gave me the OK to grab the bull by the regulator.

I believe that we need 6 to 8 students to put a class together. It will be somehere in Central NJ with the open water dives in the Point Pleasant area. The start date will be around the 3rd week in June and run for 4 or 5 weeks. Cost around $325 - $350.

Here's what I need to get this going:

Who wants training and cert?
What day is better Saturday or Sunday. if we have enough for each day we can run 2 classes.

If you have a School or Trainer you like - PM me and I'll contact them.

If I missed anything; I'm sure you'll let me know :)

Eric

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Eric. I was gonna set something up with Dosil"s in Middletown. I spoke with the scuba instructor about the club and us diving for fish in Belmar. He called me back and I kept missing him. So I never got a price from him. I think it was less then 300. The # is 1-800-nj divers. or 732- 787-0508

I'm going to call Dosil's tomorrow. My Brother-in-law used to work there and knows them... I just have to find out if when I say that it's a good thing or not :)

Eric

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just mention to him that we were the ones that picked up the slurp guns and caught the tropicals. He'll remember us.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Underwater Discovery, Inc in Toms River does the course for 225. You need to purchase Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Weights & Belt additionally, but I think that's standard anyway.

125 Class
50 Student Kit
50 Rentals for Check Out Dives

20 Security deposit for DVD that you get back as store credit when you return the DVD.

They will accomodate a private class for us.

John was certified with them and also did a refresher course with them (cheaper than the standard rates for anyone looking for a refresher). They're a great shop to work with.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just to add to what Phyl said, UDI has their own enclosed pool on site and a full line of rental and retail equipment. I've gotten 3 certs from them and haven't been disappointed at all.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The refresher course is great. While everyone else is swimming laps and treading water, you get to sit back and relax!

malulu

NJRC Member
one more thing...

can i also enroll kids for this class? (11 and 14)
not 100% sure yet, need to check with the BOSS tonight.

Check age direct with the shop. Padi's rules are:
Minimum Age: 10 years. Students younger than 15 who successfully complete the course qualify for the PADI Junior Open Water Diver certification, which they may upgrade to PADI Open Water Diver certification upon reaching 15.

My daughter is 13 and I'm sure she'd love to have someone her age there too. Deb beat me to the post or I would have said what she did...

Eric

Phyl said:
Underwater Discovery, Inc in Toms River does the course for 225. You need to purchase Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Weights & Belt additionally, but I think that's standard anyway.

125 Class
50 Student Kit
50 Rentals for Check Out Dives

20 Security deposit for DVD that you get back as store credit when you return the DVD.

They will accomodate a private class for us.

John was certified with them and also did a refresher course with them (cheaper than the standard rates for anyone looking for a refresher). They're a great shop to work with.

What type of certs do they do?

Carlo

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got my Open Water and Advanced Open Water certs through them. I also did a refresher course with them. They pretty much offer all of the courses you'd need to get to an instructor level if you want

Oh and they are a PADI facility.

I'm going to talk with Dosil's as soon on thursday and see what they can offer... they are on 36 in middletown. one of their advantages is that they have a pool (or access to one... not sure) Other places I spoke with were willing to supply instructors for a private class but we'd have to supply the pool.

I'm still looking to get something going by mid june... anyone else interested?

Eric