• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SCWD Anyone?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does anyone have knowledge of using a SCWD (Switching Current Water Director)? Thinking about putting a closed loop on the next build and including this to make switching currents. Want to know what people who have used one think about them. The best part for me is that it doesn’t require reading a schematic and soldering wires ;D!

Here’s a link to the manufacturer's page:

http://www.3iqventures.com/

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have one on my tank. For the price it's not bad but there is a considerable loss in pressure. If you were looking to plumb something in look at a Sea Swirl, it's more money but worth it.

Bob

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Bob, not bad for the money but there are better options. I am running both a SCWD and a Sea Swirl and the SS doesn't loose anywhere near the pressure the SCWD does. They also have just come out with a 1 inch version of the SCWD that you can take apart and clean.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We thought so little of the SCWD we removed it. I wouldn't use one again. I haven't tried a SS (next step up) nor an Oceans Motion (Cadillac).

More to the point, how big a tank are we talking about?

For a larger tank you may want something a lot better.

Over the years the SCWD has not exactly had rave reviews. Look for something better.