• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SeahorseKeeper for President!!!

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi! For those of you that do not know me, my name is Krista. I have been in the hobby since around 2009. I got into the hobby when I was challenged by a coworker and told that I would never be able to have reef tank. Well, I took the challenge and researched a ton. It took me a couple of years to find out about forums. First, I found my way to RC and then eventually R2R. On R2R, I hit the ground running with writing articles and stickies. They made me a moderator after being member for 3 months.

It was through R2R that I found NJRC. Jim (@downbeach) messaged me and told me about NJRC. I joined as the club was ramping up for their frag swap in Edison, NJ. Unfortunately, that frag swap did not happen. Hurricane Sandy came and the swap was postponed. However, Hurricane Sandy taught me a lot about the club. It showed me how the members ban together to help each other out. After seeing this, I knew I wanted to be a part of this club and help out wherever I could.

Since I have been a member NJRC, I have served as both Vice President and President. I have also volunteered at every frag swap and RAP. I truly try to help out wherever I can.

Hmmm, why do I want to be president? This is a great question. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure I wanted to run again for president. I felt that I let the club down when we did not have a frag swap and that I did not accomplish as much for the club this past year.

Now, I look back and I see that the current BOD began on a journey to shift to having the members more involved in the decision making processes and the planning of events. The club is here for the members and the members need to have their voice heard. I truly believe that this is something that is necessary for the total health of the club. I do want to see the club continue to regain the comradery that it had when I first joined and I feel that I can help contribute to this.

When the elections are over, I will say that I commit to being supportive and continuing to help out wherever I can. I am excited to see what 2018 will bring for NJRC!!!

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When it comes R2R, I actually put that on the back burner in regards to NJRC. I prioritize NJRC over R2R. R2R is beneficial because it gives me contacts to reach out to in regards to the behind the scenes stuff that happens on forums. There are a couple of people that I can reach out about the Xenforo platform and to help with any issues. R2R has also helped me know how to handle certain situations.

As far as changes, that would depend on what the membership wants. I would try to ensure that everyone feels that they have a say and work to do what is best for the club.