• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Secrets of the Hippo Tang?

Does anyone have the secret for keeping a Hippo Tang? Almost everyime I see them in stores they are either really thin, bad coloring, have ich, or HLLE. The only time I have seen really nice looking ones was in a reef tank. Do you think Hippos are better off in a reef tank? Can I be successful with one in a FOWLR?

One of the biggest problems with them is where they come from. Most often or not they are readily available from the phillipines(poor reputation as far as collection goes) If you can find them from figi/australia/or melanesia they are 100% better but usually come with a higher price tag.

I agree with you but the problem is that you don't really know where retailers get their fish from. I mean of course they can say I got it here or there but you really don't know. Also there is one store that is MAC certified but again I'm not sure its worth paying double for the fish unless you know a lot of people that have had a good experience there.

+1 to what aqOb mentioned.

Regardless of species (captive bred excluded) - it's a good idea to ask your LFS to hold the fish for a few days and obviously watch it eat in the store. I say captive bred excluded since it's whole life has been in a box so I don't necessarily need to see it a few more days in a box.

Has anyone reported better success with them in a reef or do you think its only a matter of where the fish came from? I had one that only lasted 1 week (ich)..I'm not sure if I would get one again but Im thinking I should make sure the fish is at least 1 month old in the pet store and maybe I should drip them 3-5 hours and use a QT? Any other suggestions?

I've read probably thousands of threads between many web sites. The general consensus is that ANY reef fish will do better in a reef tank. They seem to be more familiar with their surroundings, have hiding places and a natural source or food for some. Alot is the stress level of the fish. if they are stressed they are more susceptible to disease and death.

hope this helps

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I have a Hippo tang that I have had for over 4 years. The first year it was in a fish only tank because I hadn't gotten into corals yet. It is now in a 240 gal reef and is a fat pig. ;D

I agree with Phil, ask to see the fish being fed before you buy it. It's good to see what kind of food it is eating also.

Got my Hippo from Will at AqOb over a year ago and it is still doing well.

It was a little neurotic and skittish at first, but in my reef setup, as long as it has somehere to hide, it seems to be fine.

This is just my opinion, but the hippos really seem to "stress out" more than some other species, which could make them more prone to disease, but that is just a theory.

Also, the thing seems happiest when it is tearing seaweed off the clip on the wall of the tank.

Now it is quite the pig of the tank.

Kenny Z.

I think you are right in that it was probably related to stress. I think at the time that I bought the Hippo I already had a Sailfin in the tank. The tank is a 180 FOWLR and only had about 5 fish in there at the time (Starry Puffer, Formosa Wrasse, 2 Percs, and a sailfin). I didn't see the Sailfin bother him but the hippo was definitely hiding a lot more than other fish that are new. I guess if I re-do the tank maybe I will buy the hippo first and introduce other fish after him so that he woudn't get as stressed.

Mine in is in QT at the moment but I totally agree, they are the true chickens of the sea. Mine eats mysis great, algae not so much, the naso in jail with him eats just the reverse. I am suplementing everthing and doing daily water changes. Still he is the one with problems. I have read some places that not stressing them out in QT is the way to go. Not sure that is good idea but I can see the validity of the arguement. I would say that the absolute best case senerio would be first living thing in the tank after LR. Then you could treat it with hyposalinity if it did have ick. But who can plan a tank schedule like that?

I had two and I moved them 3 times and I agree they get stressed out much easier than any other fish and they would get some light ich but it would go away all by itself until I stressed them out again.

I think it's hard to see a feeding specimen at a LFS as they hunger strike all the time when stressed. These things show signs of ich at almost any change in routine. I think the best bet is to QT in hypo, making sure all ich is removed. Get him eating well (not that hard as they are pigs once their hunger strike ends). Also try not to choose too small a specimen as they don't acclimate as well. Have lots of hiding spaces in the environment and choose tankmates that will not stress him out.

I noticed that Calaxa mentioned that you should try getting a larger specimen since they have a better success rate. I wanted to go with a 1-2 or 2-3" (max) inch to start with. I have 3 clowns (1-1.5") and a pretty nasty yellow damsel(~3"). Since hippo's are rated at peaceful am I just looking for trouble since all 4 fish are basically semi-agress?

I also only have a 47g (high) tank, so the smaller the better, but my LFS claims that they have had no success with small hippos (<3"). They said they always die within the first few days or get sucked into the filters. So, this sort of reinforces the theory that the smaller specimens are out. I figure in a year or two he will outgrow the tank.. but maybe by that time I might upgrade or worst case I gave him to someone in the club.

I plan on putting the hippo in a QT first.

You will be asking for trouble if you add a small hippo to that tank. He will probably freak from the size of the tank, the aggression from the 3 clowns + damsel (they don't fight in this setup?). Small specimens are possible, just they have really poor success compared to larger ones. This is not a realistic setup to house a hippo. It's wrong on too many levels. It may work in the short term but I don't think you should try this. Get the larger tank if you really want the hippo.

I bought mine real tiny( about 1" )from Will at AO . He is a pig and growing nicely . He is not skittish at all and is always out . I think this is something to do with starting them small.(?) I like to get all my fish as small as possible to watch them grow . Just make sure you start with as healthy one to start with .

calaxa said:
You will be asking for trouble if you add a small hippo to that tank. He will probably freak from the size of the tank, the aggression from the 3 clowns + damsel (they don't fight in this setup?). Small specimens are possible, just they have really poor success compared to larger ones. This is not a realistic setup to house a hippo. It's wrong on too many levels. It may work in the short term but I don't think you should try this. Get the larger tank if you really want the hippo.

I agree I figured I was pushing my luck in a 120 ... but after QT he has relaxed a lot. So from personal experience they do freak out in a smaller tank. THIS is however a great excuse to upgrade. ;D