• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seeing what every one thinks of my plans

Ok,so since last summer I have been setting up and planning this tank. Its been a very slow build until this summer. This summer I actually started buying the majority of the things I need to get this system off the ground. So my reason here is to see what everyone thinks of this set up and if anyone can think of improvements or better things I can do.

Main tank
Im starting with a 50g rimless breeder with a external overflow, this will be visible by three sides. I have one right now that I custom did but I im currently looking for a place to make a 36x18x16 rimless tank with three starfire sides and a external overflow that isn't crazy priced.

Sump
My sump is a 40g breeder, the first chamber is a skimmer chamber. This holds my BK mini 160 that I have. Next is bubble traps, then it overflows into a chamber where water is drawn from to a external pump that does roughly 1200gph and this will feed a rack that has five outlets. Each outlets serves a piece of equipment. One cal rex (undecided if im going to use one), Next is my geo phos rex, then a geo media rex that will hold carbon, next feeds my fuge and the last one will be just for a incase I ever need another one. The third chamber in my sump will be my main pump, or where the water is drawn from (undecided on pump) that will push up to my main tank and frag tank. Also I have a 20g long tank(fuge) that will drain into the third chamber of my sump (so fuge water gets pushed right up to mt and frag tank)

Frag tank
My frag tank will be 36x16x (10 or 12)rimless tank on this I will have a sea swirl in the middle and a vortec mp10 in this tank. It will drain into the first chamber of my sump.

Lighting
My main tank will have a 36in 6 bulb ATI sunpower light fixture
My frag tank will have a 6 bulb tek t fixture.

Controller
Reef keeper elite

Flow
I will have my pump hooked to two educators in the mt(one on each side of the over flow) and a 6101. So all the flow will be pushing across the entire tank hitting the front wall and bouncing back. I will also have two maxi jet mood’s pushing across the bottom(under the rock work) to clear and settling dabre. So all my flow will be pushing across the 36inch long tank hitting the wall. Any objections to this?

What I have Bought already is the tek-t fixture for frag tank, bk skimmer, tunze 6101, all my stand is done. My sump is done and my one pump that feeds all the rectors. What im here trying to do is see if any one has any idea's that might better this set up. It will be stocking mostly high end sps with very few chalices and zoos that are high end.

One of the only things im one hundred percent lost on is the cal kalk rex. This is mostly because im not sure how to set them up and tune them to my system.

Somthing i forgot to say, My drains will be one inch and my return flow will me 3/4. All my valves will to all my rex and what not will be 1/2 or less. I have notices that most pumps that do 2500+ gph for my return are 2 inch inlet could i make a one inch hole that water is drawn from and then get fitting? also any ideas on a good pump to feed my frag and mt? one pump that will be able to feed both?

m and m said:
Somthing i forgot to say, My drains will be one inch and my return flow will me 3/4. All my valves will to all my rex and what not will be 1/2 or less. I have notices that most pumps that do 2500+ gph for my return are 2 inch inlet could i make a one inch hole that water is drawn from and then get fitting? also any ideas on a good pump to feed my frag and mt? one pump that will be able to feed both?

unless you really have to or already have the pumps, 1200gph as a return pump (or more) is a lot of flow going up and then down the system. You could get away with a pump that is less than 900gph and they will also be quieter. You don't want to bottleneck the input of the pump. It will cause the pump to work harder producing more heat and shortening the lifespan of the motor. I ran into the same problem/s years ago.

For your "sump circulation" pump, the smallest Iwakis will work well (external) as are the Eheim submersibles. A calcium reactor will come with its on internal circulatory pump and you will only need a feed pump to bring water into all your other reactors. I would just Tee off your main pump to save on electrical and equipment costs.

This was mine during setup. The pipe to the right is Tee'd off and the rest goes back up to the tank via a manifold
plumbing-bottom-4.jpg

I have a 1200gph pump that i was going to use to feed all my equepment. Also the second pump i was going to use i was goign to "t" it off one going to the mt one going to the frag tank. Do you think i should sell the pump i have now and buy lets say a 2600gph pump. Use that pump to feed both tanks and all equepment?

m and m said:
I have a 1200gph pump that i was going to use to feed all my equepment. Also the second pump i was going to use i was goign to "t" it off one going to the mt one going to the frag tank. Do you think i should sell the pump i have now and buy lets say a 2600gph pump. Use that pump to feed both tanks and all equepment?

I would do a test run with what you have first. you can alway pick up a second one later if you think you need more flow. better to spend $35 in pipe hardware than getting a pump that you may not use at all

You mean have this 1200gph pump run both tanks and all the equepment?

i mean this would be very rough

100gph to phos
100gph to carbon rex
200gph to fuge
75gph to cal
that leaves 625gph to push up to my main tank with the two educaters and to the sea swirl in the frag tank that seems a little light to me

m and m said:
You mean have this 1200gph pump run both tanks and all the equepment?

i mean this would be very rough

75gph to cal
that leaves 625gph to push up to my main tank with the two educaters and to the sea swirl in the frag tank that seems a little light to me

100 gph to a carbon reactor/phosban reactor may actually be a bit much, but you can always increase or decrease that flow with valves

A calcium reactor only needs a drip drip of about 60-120 drops/minute.

Maybe split the downflow from the overflow into the fuge instead of pumped in? (I have mine split to feed the skimmer, the rest down into the sump)

The eductors are best used with a pressure rated pump and you're right, that seems a little light considering you will be using them as part of the return. The sea swirl would also need a little more push than that. Here's my flow from my loclines from a 1200gph pump, no eductors, and feeding two reactors. The noise was a little much for me with the cascading water into the sump and the hum of the pump so I ended up using an Iwaki 30 for the whole system (about 960gph)

plumb7.jpg

I would use the 1200 GPH pump to run your skimmer & DT. Your going to lose a lot of flow from the eductors and sea swirl. Then buy a smaller pump to run the reactors. I would feed the frag tank and the refugium from the overflow.

Im using a bk mini so no need for a feed pump. i think im going to go both dt pipes goign to my sump and get a larger pump to run everythign.