• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seeking better results

Try pointing them at each other that will help with a more random flow. Are they controllable wave makers.
The jabeo is but,unfortunately its past its prime because when it put on alternating wave pattern the propeller stops spinning and has to be manually spun to get it to work again.
Its the next thing on,the list to replace after the Auto top off system

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The jabeo is but,unfortunately its past its prime because when it put on alternating wave pattern the propeller stops spinning and has to be manually spun to get it to work again.
Its the next thing on,the list to replace after the Auto top off system

Mine used to do that. When was the last time you cleaned it? Once a month I do a 30min hot water and vinegar bath .I put them in and turn them full speed and dial all the way to one side for 15mins I then do 15min with the dial the other way. My rw4s are about 3 years old and one of them is just starting to give off a noise when running .but I still have to try and clean it so see if that fixes the noise issue

Mine used to do that. When was the last time you cleaned it? Once a month I do a 30min hot water and vinegar bath .I put them in and turn them full speed and dial all the way to one side for 15mins I then do 15min with the dial the other way. My rw4s are about 3 years old and one of them is just starting to give off a noise when running .but I still have to try and clean it so see if that fixes the noise issue
I've done,the whole cleaning thing but no change I think the magnet might,be off balanced

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Are your powerheads magnetic? If so, make sure there are no cracks exposing the magnet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are your powerheads magnetic? If so, make sure there are no cracks exposing the magnet.

The one power heads mount is magnetic but that's not the magnet I was referring to, I am talking,about the magnetic motor that's internal and spins the propeller

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
The one power heads mount is magnetic but that's not the magnet I was referring to, I am talking,about the magnetic motor that's internal and spins the propeller
I was suggesting you check for corrosion of the magnet that unused to hold the powerheads in place. Overtime the casing can breakdown and the magnet gets exposed to saltwater and begins to corrode. When i clean them I check to make sure the casing is good. I've been seeing it a lot lately on the boards at R2R.

I was suggesting you check for corrosion of the magnet that unused to hold the powerheads in place. Overtime the casing can breakdown and the magnet gets exposed to saltwater and begins to corrode. When i clean them I check to make sure the casing is good. I've been seeing it a lot lately on the boards at R2R.

oh I never thought of that. Magnets are high in iron and other elements did it say if it qas causing,issues in,the tank?

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
If the magnet is exposed it will cause issues and you'll have elevated metals in your water. Most likely copper. Have you been having any issues with snails dying?
oh I never thought of that. Magnets are high in iron and other elements did it say if it qas causing,issues in,the tank?

If the magnet is exposed it will cause issues and you'll have elevated metals in your water. Most likely copper. Have you been having any issues with snails dying?

Not from,unexplainable conditions lol I have a trigger that terrorizes my CUC. his favorite pass time is punching hermits and snails in the face. I do test for iron and I have a copper test kit that I used when I was treating my fish with copper in,the QT but the copper never touched the display,tank so I never tested it

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I know there hasn't been much time since you first started this thread, but I'm curious if anything has improved?

I know there hasn't been much time since you first started this thread, but I'm curious if anything has improved?
I moved the power head like you suggested seems to be better flow. Unfortunately last night there was a power outage and today my torch colony looks like it got beat up by something I am assuming the nearby hammer that is normally kept at bay by the constant flow.. But since the power heads were off might have been able to get its sweepers close enough for a few stings. I think another problem could be the asterina stars that are starting to explode in number in the tank, so I think it could be time to find a harliquin shrimp

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have a big torch that kick the crap outta a small wall hammer the exact same way.

The shrimps a great idea. Once he cleans up the asterina you’re going to have to feed it. I lost mine after being away 8 days. I have a 4.5 legged chocolate chip in the sump waiting for the aftermath of the next coming of asterina.

I have a big torch that kick the crap outta a small wall hammer the exact same way.

The shrimps a great idea. Once he cleans up the asterina you’re going to have to feed it. I lost mine after being away 8 days. I have a 4.5 legged chocolate chip in the sump waiting for the aftermath of the next coming of asterina.
The chocolate chip eats the asterina? Cause I have one about yhe same,size in my sump . how fast can one shrimp clear out an asterina population

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The chocolate chip eats the asterina? Cause I have one about yhe same,size in my sump . how fast can one shrimp clear out an asterina population
The chocolate chip does not eat asrerinas. I belive he is saying he is saving the chocolate chip to feed the harlequin after the asterinas are gone.