• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Setting my 210 up again... opinions wanted

Ok, I'm setting my 210 up again and I'll be plumbing into my basement similar to John and Phyl's setup. I've got a few things i've been debating on what to do and want to hear what everyone thinks.

1. Sand, i previously had bahama oolite sand which is 0.1mm - 1.0mm is size. While i liked the look of it it created sand storms if i wasn't careful. So i've been thinking of switching to the special grade sand which is 1.0mm - 2.0mm. I only plan on having 2-3" in my display tank with a remote DSB in my fuge.

2. my tank is RR and previously i had a reeflo dart on an over the tank closed loop. this pump fed a plumbing system identical to steve68's see pic below. it has two 1" sea swirls and two front locline flared nozzles. i'd like to eliminate this pump since i'll have a hammerhead in my basement with plenty of power, but i'm not sure how to do that. i was thinking of using both holes in the overflows as drains but i'm not sure this will work, the dart has over 3000 GPH in flow plus i had 1200 GPH with the RR overflow returns. am i stuck using the over the tank closed loop with the dart or is there a way to eliminate the dart and just use the hammerhead with similar flow in the display tank? i'm not a big fan of powerheads although magnetic vortech pumps aren't too bad, though i'm not sure i'd like them sticking off the sides of my tank, plus cleaning the glass would be a pain. could i put them on the back of the tank? maybe get the MP20's in addition to the steve68 system.

DSC02979.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

3. i have a bunch of rock that was in my tank when i had it set up previously for two years. its now been sitting in a trash can outside without water for two years. what do i do with this rock? do i have to scrub it? I know i'll have to cycle it but i have to cycle my entire system anyway. I'm also going to need some more rock as i sold some my old rock with corals on it.

if you want to keep the over the back stuff then you could use a Flow Changer such as sqwid and just have the hammerhead pumping it. My reeflo Marlin pumps plenty upstairs to my 120 and i have it less then half open.

As for the rock i would cycle it again because even though it has sat it will still have some junk on it that the water will break down.

ds4x4 said:
if you want to keep the over the back stuff then you could use a Flow Changer such as sqwid and just have the hammerhead pumping it. My reeflo Marlin pumps plenty upstairs to my 120 and i have it less then half open.
my concern is that the drain won't be able to keep up with what i'm pumping into the tank. previously i had 4200 GPH in my tank and even if i use both holes in the overflows as drains i don't think i can achieve the same amount of flow with just the hammerhead.

ds4x4 said:
As for the rock i would cycle it again because even though it has sat it will still have some junk on it that the water will break down.
I'm definitely going to cycle the rock my question is whether or not i need to scrub the rock or do anything to the rock that has been sitting outside in a trash can for two years.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Yes I would scrub the rock and if its been outside for 2 years I would do freshwater soaks in between scrubbing the rock.Its bound to hve alot of nastys dead inside.

dual overflows or a single? 1" ID pvc is rated for 600GPH at gravity flow. you could even get a little more by using thin wall seeing that there is no pressure on the drains. you could keep the sea swirls and get rid of the other two lines. Maybe get a used MP40w because i dont think your gunna notice a MP20 in that tank

in my 220 i had dual overflows with each return t'd at the top. then i used a koralia mag 6 and maxi jet 1200 modded with the sureflow for my flow

i think i'm going to go with the closed loop and instead of one 2" suction tube i'm going to use two 1.5" suction tubes with strainers. they're smaller and it will be more symetrical looking...

now what do you think about the sand?

Im against Oolite which is the fine grain sand.. I used fiji Pink with some Bahama sand mixed in on the 120.. I had a Diamond sleeper goby in the 220 with the oolite and clouds would com from his gills and coat everything. no problem with the fiji pink and a mp40 (plenty of return flow also)