• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Setting up for the first time this weekend, is my plan a good one?

Ok here we go...

I'm setting up a 20L nano reef with a 11.25 gal sump. I have all the equipment that I need to start and I've been putting it off because of power outages, Christmas etc. I'm doing it this weekend! How does this sound?

My plan is to:

1. Put 30 gallons of RO water into the system

2. Check for leaks

3. Turn on the return pump

4. Turn on the heaters

5. Once the water is up to temp add the salt mix

6 Check the salinity once the water has mixed at temp overnight then adjust

7. Once water is right, go to LFS buy live sand and rock

8. Shut off return pump and pump out as much of the saltwater in the tank into buckets

9. Add sand and rocks

10. Pump water back in

11. Let tank cycle for 2 weeks

Sounds like a good plan to me since you are using live rock and sand.

The only thing is the cycle time....2 weeks may be a little short, but you'll know by watching the ammonia & nitrite levels.

Are you putting anything in the tank to help the cycle....like a raw shrimp or anything?

malulu

NJRC Member
i would suggest use regular tap water first to check for leak, and let pump run (clean) the pipes...etc.
let it run for few hours... and once everything seems right, no leak...etc.

then you drain them out and put in the R/O water.

for the rest, the cycle for 2 weeks is not enough, if you need it sooner, there is something you can buy to pour it in to speed up the cycling time... (just follow the instructions on the bottle)

Sounds like a good plan to me since you are using live rock and sand.

The only thing is the cycle time....2 weeks may be a little short, but you'll know by watching the ammonia & nitrite levels.

Are you putting anything in the tank to help the cycle....like a raw shrimp or anything?

I originally thought between 2 - 4 weeks for they cycle. I don't really care how long it takes so I'll just watch the levels and when it's ready, it's ready.

I'll read up on helping the cycle along

Thanks

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Get Bispira for 30G. It will reduce the cycle time to days.

Also, I agree with David, use tap water to check for leaks and prime pumps. Let it run for 24 hours. Then drain and fill saltwater.

Welcome and Good luck!.

Sunny

i would suggest use regular tap water first to check for leak, and let pump run (clean) the pipes...etc.
let it run for few hours... and once everything seems right, no leak...etc.

then you drain them out and put in the R/O water.
I washed the pipes out pretty good with tap water but didn't run the pump. That's a good idea

malulu

NJRC Member
something like below, not saying you need to get this, it would help faster recycling, but they are not cheap...

you may want to update your account profile to show your location (city/town), and may be someone can jump in to reply where you can get some near your area for cheaper price...etc.

Korallen-Zucht ZEOstart 2 Tank & Coral Accelerator

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_ZEOstart_2_Tank_Coral_Accelerator_Bacteria_Water_Treatments_Conditioners-Korallen_Zucht-VX5551-FIADWTBS-vi.html

good luck on your new setup...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you don't mind losing the RO water (if there was a leak) then it might be easier to stick with your plan. But, if you are limited in the amount of RO you have and there is a leak... then I'd go with Malulu's (David's) plan and test for leaks with tap water first. If you do go this route... make sure you get it ALL out before filling with RO.

For the initial filling, it's ok to mix saltwater right in the tank... but keep in mind that for future water changes you'll need to have a way to mix it in a separate container (30g Brutes are nice for this). That said, you might need an additional powerhead and heater for your mixing tank. With a 20g display though, you might be able to just whip up 5g buckets when you need saltwater.

Other than that, the plan looks pretty solid.

Would like to make one more suggestion though. Consider placing egg crate (aka light diffuser) on the bottom glass before you place your rocks and sand. This will both protect your bottom glass from any falling rock cracks and also give your rocks a nice base to grip and hold in place instead of sliding on a smooth glass. Sand is also "fluid" and doesn't keep rocks in place very well, so the egg crate gives the rock some rigid corners to grip.

You don't need to cover the entire bottom. Just custom cut it to be slightly bigger than your expected rockwork so you have some areas of a deeper sand bed that isn't trapped in the egg crate. This is important if you plan to get any burrowing critters.

Anyway, good luck with it. Hope to see some pics of it once it's setup.

To save some $ might I recommend reefrocks.net, I just ordered about 100 lbs of rock and 80 lbs of sand came to only about $200 total. LR you're going to pay a premium.

If you don't mind losing the RO water (if there was a leak) then it might be easier to stick with your plan. But, if you are limited in the amount of RO you have and there is a leak... then I'd go with Malulu's (David's) plan and test for leaks with tap water first. If you do go this route... make sure you get it ALL out before filling with RO.
Yeah, everything is a tight fit and it would be a major PITA to get it ALL out. I could care less about loosing a few gallons of RO water. I've got a 30 gallon Brute that I used to use to make water for my 110 fresh water in case of an emergency.

I've got the extra heater and pump for the mixing bucket. My plan was to make the future water in a home depot bucket. I figure 4 gallons will be 20% more or less after sand and rock.

Thanks for the tip with the light diffuser. I'll definitely do that.

How long should I let the tank run after I add the salt? I'm hoping to add the sand and rock the following day

I live around the corner from Ocean gallery II plus I figure I'll only need 20 Lbs and they give us a discount so for the first time I'll buy it at the LFS.

When I setup my 110 I'll order from reefrocks.net I was looking at them before, but the wife got me a gift certificate to OGII for Christmas so I'm using that

As soon as your Salinity is at the right spot and the temp is good, you can add your rock.

There will most likely be die off on the rocks so that should help you cycle as well.

malulu

NJRC Member
How long should I let the tank run after I add the salt? I'm hoping to add the sand and rock the following day

if you pre-mix the salt... then anytime...
if you mix the salt inside the nano, then you will need to wait till all salt get dissolved first (it depends on how the flow blow, time may vary...etc.)

i guess the best bet is to mix the salt outside first for a day, while you testing your tap water leak... then after you drain all tap water out, you can then add them in...

or,
- you can put in r/o water for test (since you said you don't mind),
- then mix salt with outside bucket @ double the water salinity... (see below),
- then drain half % of the water out when done leak test
- pour in the doubled salinity water and let it run for 1 hour or so...

mix half % of water in bucket with salt & RO water to 1.025... remembered how much salt you used... then pour the same amount again in the water.

note:
regardless how you do it, when done pouring in the tank, make sure to let it run for 1 hour or so, then check the salinity to ~1.025, and the temperature is right... then start to put in Live rock. ( improper salinity would kill all the bacteria inside the live rock)

[EDIT] oh, i forgot the temperature part, thanks to Steve

Marco and reef are basically same. If you need base rock on top if the lr from the member let me know I have a few pieces

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk