• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shluzer's 120

This is my 2nd SW tank.
1st was 55 gal corner with HOB skimmer and weir overflow(will put in Deals & Steals).
Plans for stand were posted by Paul redfishbluefish, and stand was easy to make.
Stand was waterproofed with deck waterproofer.
Finished (black) exterior and canopy covered with marine varnish.
Skimmer was generously donated by malulu.
LED light - bought from Danny (roadking05).
Here is the tail (in pictures):
DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

Tank was donated by my neighbor (was sitting in his garage for 10+ years, waiting for me :).
Back painted with blue metallic from HD (hope metallic will reflect light back into tank):

DSC_0145.jpg

Drilled and 1500 kit from glassholes.com installed:
P1030255.jpg

Had to post it (read #20 and 21 ):

P1030247.jpg

Done drilling and painting:
DSC_0144.jpg

Didn't know what to do about rockwork:
DSC_0010.jpg

Tried to create an arc:

DSC_0009.jpg

Here is kinda FTS
DSC_0029.jpg

Which indicates that I need help taking pictures with LED light (camera D50).

Some creative plumbing, you can see that I like to 'play it by the ear' :

DSC_0057.jpg

Brute on left - fresh RODI, on right - salty mix. On RODI I have a turn-switch and float-stopper on brute.
Not much evaporation with LED. Top off usually takes from Brute on left, if I see that salinity is down, top off from Brute on right.

Sump - 29g tank with buffels.
Pump - Mag 18, dialed back, output goes to split b/w sea swirl 3/4" on right and flattenet pvc on left.
Also have 3 coralias for added circulation - on timer from reefkeeper light.

More sump:

Dsc_0058.jpg

Above - GFI reactor - also T-off from recirc pump, and Aqua lifter for top-off. To deal with siphon effect top-off line goes into raized PVC line, otherwize - sump would overfloat. To alert of overfloat - have 2 waterguards ($9 from homedepot) near sump and between brutes.

Final product :
DSC_0030.jpg

No much of livestock left from 2 FW wars, but here it is:

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

I have cheato in sump with light 24/7.
pH have been steady so far.
Did not test water since livestock seems happy.

Questions? comments ? Suggestions (how to get better pictures with LED lights) ?

Nice set up that you have there. One question how much 2x4's did you use to make the stand and how much were they too. Im thinking of making a stand for my 55G i havent really thought of it thou.

I love the aquascape.

I am suspicious to the brittle star though - ever have any fish missing? Google Ophiarachna incrassata it's one of the few known serpent stars that potentially eat live fish.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Alex, very nice....keep the pictures coming. Looks great!

Nice set up that you have there. One question how much 2x4's did you use to make the stand and how much were they too. Im thinking of making a stand for my 55G i havent really thought of it thou.

Stand plans originally came from Reef Central. Here’s their layout for any size tank.

Stand.jpg

For tanks up to four feet long, all lumber is 2 x 4’s. For tanks over four feet, the top horizontal members are 2 x 6’s. The amount of lumber you need is dependent on the footprint of the tank (length and width) and the height you wish to make the stand. I made my stand higher then normal to allow easy viewing without having to bend down.

Alex, very nice....keep the pictures coming. Looks great!

Stand plans originally came from Reef Central. Here’s their layout for any size tank.

Stand.jpg

For tanks up to four feet long, all lumber is 2 x 4’s. For tanks over four feet, the top horizontal members are 2 x 6’s. The amount of lumber you need is dependent on the footprint of the tank (length and width) and the height you wish to make the stand. I made my stand higher then normal to allow easy viewing without having to bend down.

Thanks for the info. But if i decided to do a stand for my 55G its going to be 48x15x48.

I believe I've used about 10 2x4 and couple 2x6, also one sheet of 4x8' 1/2" plywood ( back and left walls - for additional rigidity ).
I made it taller to accomodate Brutes.
Used plan to calculate quantity and lengths of boards, then cut them using miter saw, then screwed them together, then waterproofed.
Having 2 drills (1 for drilling pilot holes and 1 for screwing) and 2 daughters to pass screws greatly speeded up the process.

I love the aquascape.
I am suspicious to the brittle star though - ever have any fish missing? Google Ophiarachna incrassata it's one of the few known serpent stars that potentially eat live fish.
I had some fish missing, but can't prove it's star's fault. This star been in my tank for about 2 years, it's been very active initially, like an octopus. At feeding time it would jump out of rockwork and wave it's tentacles trying to catch food. then during the FW war 1 it become intoxicated, first it did it's 'psychodelic dance' for several days, then hid in the corner and did not move for several weeks. After FW war 2 it lost most of it's tentacles, but now, as you see all tentacles are back and it moves nicely (not as fast as when it was young) around the tank.

On the topic of missing fish. I had several (blue chromis bullied by bigger male) and antheas (also bullied) and male clown (also bullied by female) dissapear completely, without even the trace of remains or skeletons. How often this happens ?

More pics (still don't know how to make D50 see proper colors and brightness). Any advice?
DSC_0070.jpg

mini carpet (I have 2 )

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

hammer?
DSC_0063.jpg

gbta?
DSC_0062.jpg

I also have several 'mini' GBTAs from Paul redfishblufish, they puff up nicely under LED, do not multiply uncontrollably and don't bother anyone, so I keep them for now. Though some people on the forum said these are 'evil'. See in the center of this pic.
DSC_0046.jpg

On the topic of missing fish. I had several (blue chromis bullied by bigger male) and antheas (also bullied) and male clown (also bullied by female) dissapear completely, without even the trace of remains or skeletons. How often this happens ?

Unless they carpet surfed, more than likely they were consumed by your cleanup crew - whatever that may be prior to FW war I and FW war II. You'd be surprised how quickly shrimp and that serpent star of yours, plus hermits, nassarius snails, bristle worms can consume a fish.

There are quite a few of you nikon owners on the board - i am sure someone can chime in on balancing the w/b.

Unless they carpet surfed...
I know my carpet surfers. That's why I've decided to have high canopy.
I've recently aquired small 1.5" six line wrasse. She's still in. But then, again, it seems my fish are friendly.
At least for now, when they are not fully grown.

Question about fish behavior: Do saltwater fish bag for food? I've seen it with freshwater, especially pond carp.
But my SW fish, especially powder blue tang, when sees mee walking by, starts swimming closer to front glass,
back and forth, kinda begging for food. Then when they see me getting ready to pour food in, all 'herd' comes out.
I'll have to take a picture of this. Herd consists of 2 midas blennys, 2 clowns, yellow tang, powder blue tang, melanarus wrasse, and since recently - fire fish (still somewhat shy) and six line wrasse. I'm glad they all eat like pigs.
Oh, I forgot to mention the 2 skunk shrimps that have no fear (jump on my hands in the water) and serpent star, that jumps out of cave and waves tentackles trying to catch some food. IOU on picture.

howze01

NJRC Member
I don't think that it's begging. I would say more of a learned response. They associate you (or other people) with food and know when to expect it.

falconut

NJRC Member
Aquascaping looks great. I love the arch look. As Hawkeye pointed out, the star is a known fish eatter, so be cautious.

As promiced, feeding time pics:
DSC_0001.jpg

2 midas blennys (no fighting so far):
DSC_0025.jpg

2 wrasses (can you see little 6-line?):
DSC_0019.jpg

2 tangs (also no fighting so far, with my old yellow + hypo they 'danced' often ):
DSC_0018.jpg

fat six line
DSC_0017.jpg

fire fish 'hosting' RBTA:
DSC_0014.jpg

new clown, likes to hang out near seaswirl, so far does not cooperate with old momma clown
Dsc_0013.jpg

Update
got frogspawn, and 2-3 SPS . Thanks to Paul and Nikki.
Question - my clowns used to host GBTA, then after male dissapeared female stopped paying attention to GBTA.
I've added RBTA, it's ignored. Added small male, and they both now swim in open water, no interest in hosting anything. Why?
threesome.jpg

newSPS1.jpg

melanarus.jpg
snailsonparade.jpg
bluemuchies.jpg
birdsnestandsps2.jpg
clowns.jpg
curiouspowderblue.jpg
frogspawn.jpg
greensps.jpg
melanarusandpowderblue.jpg
melanarus.jpg